Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wip

Okay! Here is another update. A start with the border. I got really inspired by seeing the intricate borders by Marc Moureau and Misty Beee so I tried to get some lore into the map with this.

Wow, this is looking fantastic! The map itself is great, but your border is adding a whole new level of character and interest

Wingshaw

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Yup, you just popped a whole lot of character into your piece! Really interesting perspective, too, to be looking *up* at the map.

And great job on the tropical palm forests.

Thank you for the kind words! Everytime I think about it I think the border and map might be equally important.

It took me some time but here is an other update! I like to think I’m done with the linework now but everytime I come back to it I think it needs adjustments.

How do you deal with labels..? I obviously didn’t think about them in advance and they’re constantly messing with interesting things on the map and the overall composition.

And text in procreate is great but not for a map.. I think I’ll need a vector based program to do that properly. I kinda worked around it by using only straight text and left the wrapping out. Oh I wish I’d had more skills at handlettering.

But overall I’m happy with the result!

### Latest WIP ###

Oh, wow! This is looking fabulous. Love the overall composition and the elevations on the map itself are a killer. I think the labels work! I too have a bad habit of not having the sense to plan for them well enough in advance and have to usually resort to some trickery to get them in properly...

And also, for my two cents, while I definitely do get maybe wanting to get a text editor program in order to do the text properly, I think using straight text for the labeling is very rarely a bad idea. Curved labels, in my opinion, should only be used when there is some clear reason for them needing to be so. Personally I wouldn't have added a single curved label to this map, even if I had had the opportunity to do so

I also really like the little borders you added for the labels... for some reason I never think to do that in my maps!
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

I think your labels could easily be smaller. In any case, I would put them in front of everything else unless you can manage to put them in the background as a mere fancy effect. The folding of the ribbons is a bit large too; you could save some space by folding them a bit closer to the main part of the ribbon – if my English makes any sense here. But it does look absolutely great and I'm amazed by how quickly you assimilate advice, good as it may be!
    My website (commissions open)
    My LinkTree (to find me everywhere)

Guild Expert

I like everything about this, the border is going to be amazing, and the way you’ve done the title is really cool... I can’t wait to see what you do with the colour.

Actually, I love it the way it is. Putting the labels "on" the physical map so that map elements are sometimes in front of them looks great.

Ok, so this is another of those "wow" moments. 'cause you know...
    Wow...

That's a beautiful map and the borders are great, but I have to agree with Eowyn Cwper; the labels could be a little bit smaller.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast