Quote Originally Posted by XCali View Post
Hey I really like the idea. And a good start, but I've stare at this thing for an hour now and I do think even with the update it stills seems very odd. For one, I can't figure out which is lower the actual canyon going under the bridge or the parts you made dark. The darkest area is suppose to be the one with the least amount of light. But there should be a gradual gradient going from an area of light to the darker area IF there is a ramp going down there.
I agree. I stared at it for a while, came back to it later, and it finally settled in to what is what. When you are making something, you have a 3D image in your mind as to what it should be, and laying it out it all makes sense. But to an outside observer who cannot read your mind, there may not be enough obvious clues to construct the image for them.
I would make the central canyon at the bottom in deeper shadow. The mid-level tomb areas on the right in mid level shadow. Then the arch bridge and the upper tomb area remain the same in brighter daylight. Maybe also make a "player map" version showing an aerial view with the tombs covered by rock with hints of dark shadows where the windows are.
But the overall effect is really cool. It brought back memories of the Valley of the Kings that I visited years ago where some of the tombs are set in the cliffside of a narrow valley.