Thread: 02º59'49.5''w - 48º51'14.3''n

Guild Member

Map 02º59'49.5''w - 48º51'14.3''n

I dedicated this archipelago to my friend, the French painter Pascale Maguerez, the geographical references are those of her family's house on the Island of Brehat, in Brittany's North Coast
    https://www.cartographersguild.com/a...hmentid=123222
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	02º59'49.5%22W - 48º51'14.3%22N.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	2.89 MB 
ID:	123226  
    Last edited by Kishkindha; 06-03-2020 at 09:45 AM.

This is very nice. Good colors and an interesting look. The left side might be seen as empty and wasted space, but I think that the busyness of the main area with its plethora of dots and detail is usefully balanced by having a expanse of calm blue sea. While there are certainly features that could be added (scale and compass aren't really necessary, the castle provides a rough sense of scale and one can assume a convention to map orientation, while a key and some name labels would more valuable additions), it stands as a fine work as it is.

Oh, and welcome to the Guild.

So many dots. o_o Traditional or convincingly traditional looking digital art?

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

Guild Member

Map hand made

Quote Originally Posted by Tiana View Post
    So many dots. o_o Traditional or convincingly traditional looking digital art?
    Don't know if it's "traditional", but totally handmade. These are the sands foreshores areas represented in accordance with the 1:50,000 (metric system) French topographic map 1950 style, my main inspiration

Guild Member

Map Is there still a geography without toponyms ?

Quote Originally Posted by rdanhenry View Post
    This is very nice. Good colors and an interesting look. The left side might be seen as empty and wasted space, but I think that the busyness of the main area with its plethora of dots and detail is usefully balanced by having a expanse of calm blue sea. While there are certainly features that could be added (scale and compass aren't really necessary, the castle provides a rough sense of scale and one can assume a convention to map orientation, while a key and some name labels would more valuable additions), it stands as a fine work as it is.

Oh, and welcome to the Guild.
    Thank you very much for having taken the time to observe and appreciate the map, your comment denotes an assertive look at this work and I really appreciate it. I totally agree with your suggestion about key and names, these latter have been a big problem for me : I am not a creator of words. However, I found a way to get around the issue for the next archipelago. Is there still a geography without toponyms ?
    Did you see the poem in the upper left corner ?
    Finally, the relationship between the ocean empty area and the archipelago corresponds, geometrically, to a golden section.
    Last edited by Kishkindha; 06-04-2020 at 03:03 PM.

Excellent & original style !
    I really like your series so far. The land shapes and street plans are very interesting.

And I may add that those map names are nothing but cartography oriented !

Astounding work! If I could give you more reputation I would!

Guild Member

Map Thank you !

Quote Originally Posted by Edward II of Kenland View Post
    Astounding work! If I could give you more reputation I would!
    Thank you King Edward
    Last edited by Kishkindha; 06-04-2020 at 06:23 PM.