Thread: Any font recommendations?

Question Any font recommendations?

I'm building my map with Adobe Illustrator and my handwriting really isn't the best :') does anyone have any recommendations for fonts to use and where best to source them? Obviously there are a fair few different styles of fonts to match different map styles but I'm still playing around with style at the moment so I'm open to any

Thanks
    Last edited by Nettle; 06-04-2020 at 10:09 AM.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

Hey, good question! Personally I have tons and tons of fonts, most of them from www.dafont.com. There are others of course, but I really like how that one works.

For my personal maps I use anything that looks great, but for commissions I only ever use fonts that are 100% free. I wouldn't want to end up with copyright infringement lawsuits for something as silly as a licensed font...

Practically speaking, I notice I've begun using less and less fancy fonts, and mostly play around with the different styles available within one font. Usually I go for a serif typeface. Lately I've been using Bell MT a lot: it's simple, it's elegant, it's easily readable even at a small size and it conveys an aura of seriousness (that I like to offset with wacky labels).
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Hi, thanks I'm familiar with dafont but unfortunately can't find the font you mentioned (Bell MT). Right now these are personal projects so I don't need to worry about licensing but its a good thing to remember!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nettle View Post
    does anyone have any recommendations for fonts to use and where best to source them?
    Hehheh. Do I, you ask? Oh, my sweet summer child...

You touched upon it a bit, it's true that what is a good font largely depends on the work you are creating. In my opinion, a consistant look and feel is key, and you should try to match the font with the overall atmosphere of the design, in this case a map.
    I personally would always opt for clear typefaces that are easy to read over super ornate and fancy ones, at least for the more commonplace text. Using something fancier for a few select things - like having your major capital cities marked with a more ornate type, can in some occasions be at least worth trying.

Well, anyway, that was just some general musings on font usage. As for my actual recommendations, some of my favourites in no particular order...

The IM Fell Types, a great collection of antique feel serif fonts with a lot of character to them

If I'm ever feel like adding little diagetic notes on my map that look like they could have been scribbled by someone living in that world, pretty much anything by Three Island Press would be a good way to go (quite a few of these are available in Adobe's Typekit, btw, if you're using CC)

If you want something a bit more wacky and in-character for a antique look map, Hanoded has tons of cool stuff. Northumbria, Sunday & Monday and Delivery Note are some of my personal faves for the heavier atmosphere. Linz is just a damn pretty typeface even if I've yet to find a project to actually use it on (the story of my life...)

Peter Wiegel also has tons of great stuff available. His Indira K. is one of my all-time favourite typefaces, I think it's just absolutely beautiful. I also really like Franken Deutsch, since it has the feel of a fractura type but is still relatively hassle-free to read.

Junkohanhero, also some good stuff. Lumenharmaa is my absolute favourite from his, he specializes in distressed stuff - perfect for your dystopia projects!

Some individual fonts on the top of my head... Optimus Princeps (this one is sadly an all-caps), Planewalker, Savu by Hiekka Graphics, Sanvito Pro, Civane, Averia Serif, Dream Orphans, Dragon Serial, Enchanted Land... aaargh, there is just too many!
    Last edited by Kellerica; 06-07-2020 at 03:07 AM.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Thank you so much Kellerica! That's really useful

I was coming here to recommend Three Isle Press as well. Fantastic stuff and quite period-authentic.

Kellerica! That is a really useful list. The three island press fonts are great in variety and quality.