Thread: Snake's Canyon - First attempt at a detailed city map!

Map Snake's Canyon - First attempt at a detailed city map!

Hi!

Over the winter I made this city map for my players -- it's my first serious attempt, and I'd love to hear what you guys think!

I'm planning to start a new map soon, so any & all feedback is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance! :)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Snake's Canyon Map.jpg 
Views:	360 
Size:	8.20 MB 
ID:	123260

I think your map is awesome!
    As far as improvements: I think using a stroke or an outer glow with a higher choke on the text would work better. Perhaps a bolder less thin typeface would also work. I also think overall the outlines on the cliffs and buildings are very thick. I think a reduction in their thickness would be a big improvement!

Thanks, I see how the thick brush on the buildings especially makes it look cluttered in places. I'll try something a little finer for the next map. Cheers :)

I really love the colors on your map. You can just feel the heat and the red rock. You put a lot of effort in all the details! All the tarps in the market section are beautifully done.

I second the outline comment. I don’t think the outlines on the houses are too thick but the hard black color makes them stand out so much more. If you can pick a color just a bit lighter that would make it blend in more with the rest. The ridges could be a bit less thick, adding shadows will give them enough depth I think.

Guild Novice

It's awesome!!!!

There's something about the layout of this town that really appeals to me. Nice work!

Theodora

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Very nice indeed!! Great stuff.

I have done my fair share of city maps and I really love your trees. That is one hard cookie to crumble normally, so well done. Also the layout is good. The road brush is simple but effective.

I do, however, have some feedback. All stuff that would improve the map, so no worries
    First, your awesome trees with their thinner lineart makes your huge thick lines stand out like sore thumbs. So, for elevation, I would scale the size of your other lineart down some, especially the thickest of the canyon lines. (not the trees, they are great.) If you have them there to show where the higher ground is and lower areas, then rather use an air brush to add low opacity HIGHLIGHTS to the top edge of the canyon, and a bit darker brush to where the least light would hit at the bottom of the cliffs. (If you want me to explain more, be sure to ask)
    Secondly, your bottom bridge is less effective with the thick line cutting it off on the bottom.
    Thirdly, having nice and crisp lineart for the rest of your map, having your buildings have blurry lines is distracting.

Other than that, I really like this map.

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project ~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19