Thread: WIP - The Boundary Lands

Wip WIP - The Boundary Lands

Hi all, I'm back with a new map attempt. This is for my DnD campaign I've been building for...a very long time :') because of this my group of friends can't see it so I'm looking for feedback! Right now it's really plain, I'm still trying to find my style though (I will quote MistyBeee as a massive favourite!!) And I know it's still pretty empty atm, I'm still trying to work out what I can put in and how best to do it. So thoughts? All and any constructive criticism welcome. What do you like? What do you want to see more of?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Etesb.png 
Views:	136 
Size:	4.27 MB 
ID:	123329

Hand drawn, Adobe Illustrator, Parblo Tablet

p.s. my original plan had been to transfer this to Photoshop when everything was in for all the shading etc this is still in the flats stage. A convoluted process I know, I'm working it out :')
    Last edited by Nettle; 06-08-2020 at 07:02 AM.

Some nice mountains you got going on there.

Default update~

Quote Originally Posted by QED42 View Post
    Some nice mountains you got going on there.
    Thank you, I'm really starting to get the hang of them :')

Name:	Screenshot 2020-06-18 at 14.28.33.png 
Views:	36 
Size:	397.2 KB 
ID:	123492

I've since gotten hold of some new brushes which I think give it a much more organic look. I've also started playing with fonts and shading :) I like that it's a bit messy

This is shaping up nicely! I already like it! Great job so far!

Help

Ok so the map is starting to shape up but I still don't quite know what I'm doing with it :') I have no idea how to fill all that sea space and I feel like the landscape itself still looks kinda empty!! Help!! Any ideas? I've only worked in almost monotone so far, I guess colours and textures might help?

I've got 2 versions right now

Name:	Etesb.png 
Views:	49 
Size:	5.69 MB 
ID:	123600

Name:	Etesb2.png 
Views:	65 
Size:	5.79 MB 
ID:	123601

P.s. that is supposed to be giant storm clouds in the top left corner. There is a landmass up there known as The Lost Continent that has been surrounded by a vicious magical storm for the past 3 centuries. It's going to be the main setting for my DnD campaign, this is just the prelude setting :')

I think it’s not bad to have a ‘clean’ map. But I think some texture would do it good, maybe some small hills in the most empty spaces? I actually like the monochome look and would be hesitant adding too much color. I really like the storm clouds idea, maybe look up some reference to make them look more like clouds? My first thought was waves when I saw the top map.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimension Door View Post
    I think it’s not bad to have a ‘clean’ map. But I think some texture would do it good, maybe some small hills in the most empty spaces? I actually like the monochome look and would be hesitant adding too much color. I really like the storm clouds idea, maybe look up some reference to make them look more like clouds? My first thought was waves when I saw the top map.
    Turns out the clouds are my new nemesis, haven't quite worked out what to do with it for now. But have added a texture to the map and I think it helps a lot - keeping it pretty monochrome though. I'll work on pattern for the sea next but for now have an updated and textured map with all the sigils :')

Name:	BoundaryLands_A0.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	4.02 MB 
ID:	123866