Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The City of Nurn

Map The City of Nurn

Daniel Hasenbos offered a skillshare class some time ago and I took the opportunity to finally create a map of the town Nurn. The original file is 10,000 * 8,000 pixels and over 700 MB large and I'm happy my good old PC could handle it ... And here it is, my first map I want to present here in the Guild!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	N8EiWUB.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	802.5 KB 
ID:	123334

Officially, the Thyonian Northmarch has no capital, but the city of Nurn can undoubtedly be called the center of this region. About 5000 people live within the walls of the city, where there is a certain rivalry between the north and the south. The northern half is the older part of the city, although Ean's house on the hill to the north is probably the oldest building in the city - which is said to have a curse on it, which is why for a long time hardly anyone built north of the river.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

That looks really nice and clear! The colors are also really well chosen, an excellent first map post!

Thank you, Arimel!

This really is very good! I like how your building shadows really give depth to the image and help to indicate height! Very well done!

Great map! And I really like how the lore of the city is reflected in the layout. Nice details and shadows also.

Thank you!

I used to be a little "scared" of shadows because I wanted them to be perfect and 100 % accurat but this time I just painted them without overthinking too much and I would say that's the right approach.

A very nice map, Elatan !
    Daniel is certainly an excellent city mapper to learn from.

I really like this. Feels natural. Not a lot of straight lines outside of the walls. Shadows feel great to me as well. Add a sense of depth.

Very nice map. Your town layout looks good, and natural.

If I can offer one critique for next time: I assume that the squiggly contour lines outside the walls are showing hills and changes in topography. So maybe if those hills also cast some shadows, it would show the 3-dimensionality of the landscape.

Hope that helps, and well done on a great map!

Wingshaw

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Quote Originally Posted by Wingshaw View Post
    If I can offer one critique for next time: I assume that the squiggly contour lines outside the walls are showing hills and changes in topography. So maybe if those hills also cast some shadows, it would show the 3-dimensionality of the landscape.
    Yes I should try it, thanks for the tip!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast