Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The World of Avantine

Map The World of Avantine

Hey there !

It's been too long since I posted something new for the last time, so please let me show you this small novel map I'm finally allowed to share, drawn last year for The Queen's Assassin, by Mélissa de la Cruz.

Usual information :
    - 11x8,25 inches,
    - Hand drawn in Photoshop CC2019 using a Wacom Cintiq pro 16,
    - Commissionned map for The Queen's Assassin, by Mélissa de la Cruz (via Penguin Young Readers).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Avantine_by_MistyBeee.jpg 
Views:	642 
Size:	715.6 KB 
ID:	122414

A very pleasant map to draw, with interesting biomes and shapes, and cool cities to illustrate. How to ask more ? ^^

Prints available here
    Last edited by MistyBeee; 05-05-2020 at 05:51 AM.

As usual if a map comes from you, Beee, it's pleasing on the eyes. I just like the way you do things...mountains, continental shapes, city-icons. I could look at those for hours. And almost as often I'd wish for a better resolution to be able to see the details of your wonderful drawings better.

But yeah, this will be one book that at least has a great map in it!

I hope you'll be able to be more present again on our nice little place here It's always nice to see your works.
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

Always a pleasure to see your work Beee! As Eilathen says, everything flows so nicely together. I love your mountains and elegant borders in particular!

About time we had a new map from you! Another really beautiful one to study/steal ideas from.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

Really wonderful, as usual! It is very clean and easy to interpret!

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

All those trees !!!! And the cities !!! And the banner !!!
    The whole map looks fantastic and stays well readable, despite all the details
    You have so much talent to make your maps looks old and to give the medieval feel !
    And a special mention for this wall, crossing the whole map !!! Now I want to know the story of this wall !

Fantastic piece as usual I especially love the stark contrast of your mountains and the subtle play with sepias on the ornaments shadows and highlights, very rafiné

Quote Originally Posted by Eilathen View Post
    As usual if a map comes from you, Beee, it's pleasing on the eyes. I just like the way you do things...mountains, continental shapes, city-icons. I could look at those for hours. And almost as often I'd wish for a better resolution to be able to see the details of your wonderful drawings better.

But yeah, this will be one book that at least has a great map in it!

I hope you'll be able to be more present again on our nice little place here It's always nice to see your works.
    Thanks Eilathen !!
    I'm slowly coming back to a normal pace after some unexpected adventures those last months. Hopefully, I'll be around just as I used to ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Always a pleasure to see your work Beee! As Eilathen says, everything flows so nicely together. I love your mountains and elegant borders in particular!
    Thanks Greg ! I can't say it enough : mountains are always my favorite part to draw, so I'm always especially glad to see people like them ^^

Quote Originally Posted by QED42 View Post
    About time we had a new map from you! Another really beautiful one to study/steal ideas from.
    Haha ! Thanks Qed !
    Sorry for being so quiet recently. Hopefully I'm back for good

Quote Originally Posted by Arimel View Post
    Really wonderful, as usual! It is very clean and easy to interpret!
    Thanks Arimel ! ^^

Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    All those trees !!!! And the cities !!! And the banner !!!
    The whole map looks fantastic and stays well readable, despite all the details
    You have so much talent to make your maps looks old and to give the medieval feel !
    And a special mention for this wall, crossing the whole map !!! Now I want to know the story of this wall !
    Aww, thanks so much, as always, Jo !
    For the wall... I assume you'll have to read the book !

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
    Fantastic piece as usual I especially love the stark contrast of your mountains and the subtle play with sepias on the ornaments shadows and highlights, very rafiné
    The summary I got from the editor requested subtlety and elegance, I'm proud it you think I hit the target !

A pleasure to see you back, m'lady! I've missed you. ^^
    And of course the map is beautiful - your city icons continue to be an inspiration!

The summary I got from the editor requested subtlety and elegance, I'm proud it you think I hit the target !
    You are the very definition of elegance.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Guild Apprentice

I agree with everybody else here. Your geographic details and architectural illustrations are always top notch.

I also wanted to take a moment to mention something I never see called out. I really like the way you treat the type on your maps. This is an area that usually feels like an after thought on fantasy maps. But your font choices, placement, etc, etc, graphic design stuff, blah, blah, always feels considered and intentional.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast