Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast

Thread: [WIP] Building a world from tectonics onward

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thanks Peter, I actually messed around with Arsheesh's method a long time ago and could never get results I was happy with. Others have gotten it to work really well, so the problem is clearly not with the method

For a second stab at this I took everyone's advice and tried to break up the monotonous expanses of single texture with more climate-appropriate variability. IMO it's an improvement, but as always I'd be very curious to hear others' thoughts and opinions.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ox_sat2.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	4.60 MB 
ID:	137217

Very nice work! It looks excellent. Do you plan to add shadings on the seas to make the continent pop more?

Thanks Ilanthar! The oceans are definitely on a to-do list, somewhere...

In the meantime, I've taken a stab at another continent that has a bit more biome variance to see if the variation here looks any better.

Name:	southPole_sat3.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	4.59 MB 
ID:	137275 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	southPole_clim.png 
Views:	13 
Size:	346.8 KB 
ID:	137276

Quote Originally Posted by MrBragg View Post
    Thanks Ilanthar! The oceans are definitely on a to-do list, somewhere...

In the meantime, I've taken a stab at another continent that has a bit more biome variance to see if the variation here looks any better.

Name:	southPole_sat3.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	4.59 MB 
ID:	137275 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	southPole_clim.png 
Views:	13 
Size:	346.8 KB 
ID:	137276
    Looks great, only thing is I see rivers crossing throught mountains rather than following a path between them.

Port Development, British Columbia, Canada

Looking better with every post, MrBragg! One suggestion though: maybe use a lighter shade of green for the forests, alternating with a little yellow for the rain shadows, if you've defined them.

Other than that, the rendering looks gorgeous. The icecap on the southern tip of your continent looks very lifelike. Process, if you would share?

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Toth View Post
    Other than that, the rendering looks gorgeous. The icecap on the southern tip of your continent looks very lifelike. Process, if you would share?Peter
    Thanks Peter! It's actually funny that you mention the ice cap, as it's simply a flat white texture on a (somewhat toned down) bump map. I experimented with fancier ways of doing it but nothing ever ended up looking quite as good as plain white. The simplest solution and all, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Naima View Post
    I see rivers crossing throught mountains rather than following a path between them.
    I'm curious where it looks like this is happening. The rivers were all done in Wilbur and so should adhere to physics, but it's always entirely possible I screwed something up in post processing...

Name:	southPole_topo.png 
Views:	21 
Size:	2.18 MB 
ID:	137296

Thanks Peter! It's actually funny that you mention the ice cap, as it's simply a flat white texture on a (somewhat toned down) bump map. I experimented with fancier ways of doing it but nothing ever ended up looking quite as good as plain white. The simplest solution and all, I guess.

I'm curious where it looks like this is happening. The rivers were all done in Wilbur and so should adhere to physics, but it's always entirely possible I screwed something up in post processing...

Name:	southPole_topo.png 
Views:	21 
Size:	2.18 MB 
ID:	137296
    May be its just me checking some of them , but overall looks good.

And for anyone not sick of these yet, an island (microcontinent?) with everything from rainforests to deserts to try out some new textures / blending.

Name:	triangle_sat3.png 
Views:	19 
Size:	4.33 MB 
ID:	137302 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	triangle_clim.png 
Views:	7 
Size:	82.7 KB 
ID:	137303

And for anyone not sick of these yet, an island (microcontinent?) with everything from rainforests to deserts to try out some new textures / blending.

Name:	triangle_sat3.png 
Views:	19 
Size:	4.33 MB 
ID:	137302 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	triangle_clim.png 
Views:	7 
Size:	82.7 KB 
ID:	137303
    What I find a bit strange is desert on coastline , there could e an oceanic humidity to counter , it resulted from the climatic study?

Definitely not sick of these yet, keep it coming.

Great to see all that work on elevations and climate finally coming to fruition with these satellite maps. As a sidenote, any plans on what comes next after the planet-building stage?

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast