Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: [WIP] Building a world from tectonics onward

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

It's been forever, but I finally "finished" version 2.0 of my tectonics. I think I've fixed most of the ugly stuff, so now I just need to not stare at this for too long before I find anything else I don't like

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map6_plates_small.png 
Views:	95 
Size:	131.8 KB 
ID:	131915

Definitely a great improvement! Kudos for sticking with it all the way to the end, I know getting a satisfying tectonic layout can be a huge pain.

Great work and looking forward to seeing more .

Thanks Charerg! Definitely wouldn't have been able to get here without all the help I've gotten from you and others on here, so kudos back

It's only a relatively small perturbation from the last round, but while I still have ambition I've tweaked the currents / pressures to account for the modified landmasses.

Currents:

Name:	map6_currents_small.png 
Views:	45 
Size:	112.7 KB 
ID:	131929

Pressures (Jan / July):

Name:	map6_pressures_jan_small.png 
Views:	35 
Size:	131.9 KB 
ID:	131930 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map6_pressures_july_small.png 
Views:	25 
Size:	149.0 KB 
ID:	131931

Sure, it's mostly water, but there's also some experimenting with island topography in here. The intended scale is a ~1750 mi / side square, so none of these are supposed to be all that big.

Name:	lots_o_islands.png 
Views:	93 
Size:	369.2 KB 
ID:	132669

I always find island topography particularly hard, but that's an artefact of my need to keep a constant zoom level to avoid very disparate amounts of detail. What you've got here looks very nice though!

An attempt at something a little bit larger scale, this time an island ~ the size Madagascar but at 60 N.

Name:	madagaceland.png 
Views:	106 
Size:	336.9 KB 
ID:	132889 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	madagaceland_bump.png 
Views:	96 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	132890

Oh i am loving this kind of detailing, always wanted to focus on a tectonically accurate map myself and you are doing such a stunning work
    excited to see more once you have another update!

Quote Originally Posted by AlittleMango View Post
    Oh i am loving this kind of detailing, always wanted to focus on a tectonically accurate map myself and you are doing such a stunning work
    excited to see more once you have another update!
    Thanks! Ask and you shall receive: Here's a first attempt at a full scale continent. Each "bar" on the graticule is 100 mi, for a sense of scale.

Please feel free to critique anything here. It's better to find out what I'm butchering now before I get too set on anything

Name:	ox_v1.png 
Views:	136 
Size:	1.95 MB 
ID:	133172 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ox_proc_text.png 
Views:	126 
Size:	5.64 MB 
ID:	133173

Bra-vo. Seriously amazing work. Those have got to be the most naturalistic mountains I've seen come out of Wilbur (with a very large amount of handcrafted work lending to that result, I'm sure). You've got to do a write up on your process at some point.

If I had one nitpick, I guess it's the the river valleys in the lowlands are pretty uniform and narrow and seem to almost represent canyons based on the contours. But again, that's a very minor nitpick.

Thanks morne! The mountains definitely benefit from some really nice brushes, so Wilbur and I can't take all the credit The process is actually nothing particularly special and is mostly a collection of various techniques I've learned on here. If you're interested though I could detail it.

Regarding the river valleys, you're absolutely right. The final river incise step is probably a bit too strong, though if I draw in the rivers in blue it does an ok job of covering that up and allows me to be lazy and not have to experiment with different processes.

EDIT: Thanks for the rep! Just noticed that notification

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast