Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Thread: [WIP] Building a world from tectonics onward

Quote Originally Posted by MrBragg View Post
    Thanks Ilanthar! The oceans are definitely on a to-do list, somewhere...

In the meantime, I've taken a stab at another continent that has a bit more biome variance to see if the variation here looks any better.

Attachment 137275 Attachment 137276
    Looks great, only thing is I see rivers crossing throught mountains rather than following a path between them.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Toth View Post
    Other than that, the rendering looks gorgeous. The icecap on the southern tip of your continent looks very lifelike. Process, if you would share?Peter
    Thanks Peter! It's actually funny that you mention the ice cap, as it's simply a flat white texture on a (somewhat toned down) bump map. I experimented with fancier ways of doing it but nothing ever ended up looking quite as good as plain white. The simplest solution and all, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Naima View Post
    I see rivers crossing throught mountains rather than following a path between them.
    I'm curious where it looks like this is happening. The rivers were all done in Wilbur and so should adhere to physics, but it's always entirely possible I screwed something up in post processing...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	southPole_topo.png 
Views:	20 
Size:	2.18 MB 
ID:	137296

Thanks Peter! It's actually funny that you mention the ice cap, as it's simply a flat white texture on a (somewhat toned down) bump map. I experimented with fancier ways of doing it but nothing ever ended up looking quite as good as plain white. The simplest solution and all, I guess.

I'm curious where it looks like this is happening. The rivers were all done in Wilbur and so should adhere to physics, but it's always entirely possible I screwed something up in post processing...

Name:	southPole_topo.png 
Views:	20 
Size:	2.18 MB 
ID:	137296
    May be its just me checking some of them , but overall looks good.

And for anyone not sick of these yet, an island (microcontinent?) with everything from rainforests to deserts to try out some new textures / blending.

Name:	triangle_sat3.png 
Views:	18 
Size:	4.33 MB 
ID:	137302 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	triangle_clim.png 
Views:	5 
Size:	82.7 KB 
ID:	137303

And for anyone not sick of these yet, an island (microcontinent?) with everything from rainforests to deserts to try out some new textures / blending.

Name:	triangle_sat3.png 
Views:	18 
Size:	4.33 MB 
ID:	137302 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	triangle_clim.png 
Size:	82.7 KB 
ID:	137303
    What I find a bit strange is desert on coastline , there could e an oceanic humidity to counter , it resulted from the climatic study?

The climates came out of both ExoPlaSim and the tutorial here--the full climate map is earlier in this thread; this landmass lies between ~15 and 30 S and has a large continent off to the west just out of frame--so that doesn't concern me too much. After all, coastal deserts really aren't that uncommon given that Baja California, Chile, Western Australia, Western Sahara, and Namibia all have them.

And current WIP on a much larger landmass. Still tweaking some of the tropical forest regions, but this seemed done enough for a public preview.

Name:	incog_sat_4.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	8.78 MB 
ID:	137333 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	incog_clim.png 
Views:	7 
Size:	578.4 KB 
ID:	137334

The climates came out of both ExoPlaSim and the tutorial here--the full climate map is earlier in this thread; this landmass lies between ~15 and 30 S and has a large continent off to the west just out of frame--so that doesn't concern me too much. After all, coastal deserts really aren't that uncommon given that Baja California, Chile, Western Australia, Western Sahara, and Namibia all have them.
    I referred to equatorial coasts that lie on ICTZ route.

Definitely not sick of these yet, keep it coming.

Great to see all that work on elevations and climate finally coming to fruition with these satellite maps. As a sidenote, any plans on what comes next after the planet-building stage?

Quote Originally Posted by Charerg View Post
    Definitely not sick of these yet
    Thanks, Charerg, that at least makes one of us What comes next is an interesting question. Tbh I never thought I'd make it this far, so having to consider what to do once these maps are done is a bit of an outstanding question.

While I could continue painting individual mountain valleys for the rest of my natural life--mountains are such a pain...--I'm going to post this next update here as some self-encouragement to hopefully move on (temporarily?) to working on some other landmasses.

Name:	val_finished_sat_5.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	8.04 MB 
ID:	137387 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	val_finished_clim.png 
Size:	232.9 KB 
ID:	137388

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213