Thread: [WIP] Building a world from tectonics onward

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Looks great overall! I'm assuming that tectonically complex bit around the equator will turn into an Indonesia-style archipelago of microcontinents, yes? I've also struggled with random oceanic subduction zones going off the edge of continents in my own world, and it can be frustrating, but I think what you have there is fine. Perhaps an Alaska-style peninsula on the northwest of that western continent would help it look a bit less incongruous? Otherwise hard to say without seeing the GPlates animation.

Thanks Tiluchi! You're right about that messy area being an Indonesia / Oceania style archipelago, I just haven't actually added the land there yet.

I like the idea of trying to add in a peninsula to the northwestern continent. I can imagine that kind of thing being consistent with either an original part of the continent that split off during the breakup (rough gplates sketch) or as being something that accumulated over time as a series of terrane collisions a la real Alaska. Added to the to-do list!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fakedAlaska.png 
Views:	31 
Size:	112.8 KB 
ID:	131717