Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: May/June '20 Lite Challenge: The Siege of Faloume

Default May/June '20 Lite Challenge: The Siege of Faloume

OK I'm a bit late on this so it's going to have to be a super express job. Three days! Well I haven't got much else to do so let's give it a pop.

I was looking through the pictures in the header thread and one jumped out at me. It sort of reminded me of a fort in Toulon for some reason. So I've decided to loosely base it on the Siege of Toulon during the French revolution. We all love revolutions don't we?

My narrative is the city and it's surrounding harbours are under siege from the sea. Those rebellious little scamps are attempting to blockade the harbour while our gallant loyal forces hold them off until reinforcements from our allies arrive to sink their fleet. Meanwhile their armies march north to take the city. Our armies are weeks behind them. It is important that we hold off this audacious attack on our righteous rule over these worthless peasants. We have many guns in our ten forts. The city is a critical port on a busy trade route. It supplies much of our empire with agricultural products from the local area as receiving luxury items from our colonies that we continue to ravish for our own personal gain.

So I'm going to use my own narrative for this challenge but I'm also thinking about doing a blank map for others to play about with if they want to, adding their own labels, camp placements, etc. The full size is 9000 x 6500 pixels. If I finish it I'll find somewhere to keep the full size blank.

Anyway I've made a start.

### Latest WIP ###

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Foloune.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	338.0 KB 
ID:	123375
    I started a DeviantArt page
    https://strafwibble.deviantart.com/

Hey Straf, Welcome to the challenge! Nice to see you jumping in on this one. Have fun!

Cheers Bogie. I'm sort of getting into it a bit. I'm plotting out my terrain at the moment. In this map I'm trying out sketching the various bits including the main height lines. You can see this in the attached image. Yes I'm having another bash at the contour method I was trying to develop a few years ago. This time, though, I'm working my way down instead of up. At least for the major contours.

Views:	80 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	123377

How are you doing these days sir?

EDIT: Forgot to mention it's easier to work these days as I built a new PC with 32GB of RAM and an NVMe drive so I don't have to wait for ages for stuff to update when I'm using loads of layers.
    Last edited by Straf; 06-11-2020 at 06:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Straf View Post
    Cheers Bogie.

How are you doing these days sir?

EDIT: Forgot to mention it's easier to work these days as I built a new PC with 32GB of RAM and an NVMe drive so I don't have to wait for ages for stuff to update when I'm using loads of layers.
    I'm doing great, Adapting to the "New Normal"
    Cool that you have a powerhouse computer to work with!

Quote Originally Posted by kacey View Post
    Welcome to the challenge!
    Thanks kacey. It's been a while so I thought I'd ease myself in gently by joining the challenge 3 days before the deadline by doing a map that requires a ton and a half of contouring before I even think about details.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    I'm doing great, Adapting to the "New Normal"
    Cool that you have a powerhouse computer to work with!
    I compromised on a graphics card to get the extra RAM and the SSDs.

Anyway I continue on:

### Latest WIP ###

Views:	41 
Size:	1.81 MB 
ID:	123385

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Good to see you in this challenge ! I hope you'll find time to finish, I really would like to see that one done... very promising !

Thanks JO. I very much doubt it will be finished. I've got a day to do it. It's more to give me a kick to get onto a project. There's so much to do on it. I'll shove it into WIP when this is all over. I've done nothing today as I've been cooking, housework and then it was time for dinner. I felt worn out since then. Oh I also fixed a leaky toilet and a remote control. I also chatted online with an archaeologist about 17th century market places. Sorry script writers but there is no evidence of people juggling oranges or eternal flames in sconces on walls day and night.

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Straf View Post
    Thanks JO. I very much doubt it will be finished. I've got a day to do it. It's more to give me a kick to get onto a project. There's so much to do on it. I'll shove it into WIP when this is all over. I've done nothing today as I've been cooking, housework and then it was time for dinner. I felt worn out since then. Oh I also fixed a leaky toilet and a remote control. I also chatted online with an archaeologist about 17th century market places. Sorry script writers but there is no evidence of people juggling oranges or eternal flames in sconces on walls day and night.
    It sound like a busy day, indeed ! And interesting too ! The main thing is that you still find joy in mapmaking, isnt'it ?
    Anyway, It's good to hear from you and I hope to see this map finished one day or the other ?

It's slow going but I'll open a new thread in WIP once the voting begins. It's starting to get interesting from my perspective. Counting up and down contours Maybe I ought to start marking what's up and down in some places because it's getting really complicated. It doesn't half focus the mind though. Takes my mind of what's happening on the other side of the front door

### Latest WIP ###

Views:	44 
Size:	1.82 MB 
ID:	123405

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast