Thread: Solum (Commission)

Default Solum (Commission)

Hey everyone,

It's been a little while since I've posted a map but I've been lurking from the shadows.

Here is a recent commission I completed called Solum. The continent is greatly shaped by intense magical powers, as shown by the massive scar of an ancient magical disaster in the center and the blue magical forest on the right.

As always, comments and critiques are appreciated! Let me know what you think.
    Thanks,
    Josiah

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Solum_CG.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	668.6 KB 
ID:	123429

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Great stuff, love that dark ocean!
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Guild Novice

Hello! This was a map commissioned by me, and is part of a homebrew setting in which I've recently started running a campaign. Josiah's work has been great, and I'm looking forward to getting to add more things on the map. The current named locations were the major cities and regions I started out with. However, there are many smaller settlements, regions and landmarks I'm planning to label on the map as I flesh the world out. Solum is not the only continent on this world, but it's the one I'm focusing on to start with. I'm happy to answer questions about the setting if there is interest.

-Juho

I. Love. This. Map. The needle like mountains, the blue Greatwood and that scary looking crater next to Eberia. Great! Maybe the border feels a little bit sad because he didn’t get the love and attention the mountains got but I gave him a hug and he said it was okay.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

Really nice colors! The level of detail is really cool.

Guild Expert

You know I’m always a fan of your work and this is no exception, great job as always... Love this!

When you come back, it's with a bang ! The map is outstanding and, as Kellerica said, this color scheme is glorious !

As you ask for critic, I can give a tiny one. I'd slightly reduce the opacity of your shadow and highlight strokes along the rivers to blend them a bit more or, perhaps, use a fuzzy brush if you're not already doing it. I use the same technique but I usually go in two parts : one pass with a soft brush, low opacity (maybe 5%), overlay or soft light layer and large pixel size and a second pass with 5 to 10 opacity, same brush but smaller size. That's my two cents, the map is fabulous anyways.
    Last edited by ThomasR; 06-16-2020 at 04:20 PM.