Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Etria

It's just another incredible map... With a very interesting darker ambiance and tone.
    What can I do but to love it ?

Quote Originally Posted by Levtrona View Post
    absolutely fantastic, your maps are very skilled and they have, dont know another word, soul. So alive. Very inspiring. Hope i get to see a lot more.
    That's a wonderful compliment : thanks so much for it, Levtrona ! I always do my best to put a lot of myself in my maps

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    It's just another incredible map... With a very interesting darker ambiance and tone.
    What can I do but to love it ?
    Thanks for the kind words, Ilanthar ! You don't have anything more to do ^^'

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Very impressive to see a "classic" map passed through the filter of your talent! So many details and beautiful elements! This is really the style of drawing that I like and that I also find in Voolf, J. Edward and many others. I've been trying desperately to copy it for so long now...
    And then there's everything that makes your particularities: sea monsters, boats and this border... it's so incredible your art of the border: so many details harmoniously arranged, linked together by this science that you have ribbons and convolutions (the skulls and towers are quite fantastic)

Thanks for sharing !!!

Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    Very impressive to see a "classic" map passed through the filter of your talent! So many details and beautiful elements! This is really the style of drawing that I like and that I also find in Voolf, J. Edward and many others. I've been trying desperately to copy it for so long now...
    And then there's everything that makes your particularities: sea monsters, boats and this border... it's so incredible your art of the border: so many details harmoniously arranged, linked together by this science that you have ribbons and convolutions (the skulls and towers are quite fantastic)

Thanks for sharing !!!
    Better late than never, thanks so much for the kind words !!
    Hehe, I'm glad you especially mentioned the towers, as those were one of my favorite detail to draw ^_^

Thank you for the insight in the process! I think it’s awesome that a client adds references like Dürer and Doré! Their work is amazing but not generally connected with maps. I’ve the illustrated bible of Doré on my bookshelf and it is a delight to thunb trough the pages once in a while, will do that again but now with a different view.

Thanks so much, Dim'Door !
    Compared to the size, level of details and time spent on this map, it was not a lot of back and forth (I have 16 previews in this project folder, from the very first sketch to the final view), and most of them were about where to place the icons. I had the two reference maps as a guide, so it was easy to set up the biomes without nipicking about how this forest should be a little smaller, or this mountain a little taller.
    The client was a joy to work with : he asked for a full colored map, roughly based on my super old Kingdom of Mar style (hopefully enhanced ^^'), and gave me some clues about the general feeling and inspirations he wanted for the map : something dark, dangerous, fancy/crazy gothic borders, with Albrecht Dürer and Gustave Doré as references, which is totally my cup of tea. But out of this general guideline and a few specific requests (the gargoyles, a few ships...) I would say it was the kind of "feel free have fun" commission, so I had the pleasure to add on the map a lot of hidden details and suprises, hoping he'll use them to enrish his RPG campaign
    The border was made in a few steps : I firstly drew the top part lineart and asked his validation to make sure it was a style he would enjoy (you can't put that many skulls on a map without the agreement of the client ), then I added the title banner and the bottom right corner for another validation (it's where he asked to add the gargoyles, which was not that difficult on the side pillars anyway), and finally the complete border/shading/color.

Another jewel... Dark yet delightful, I love it !

Thanks for sharing this beauty, there's always so much to learn from your maps...
    My Website
    You can also find my work on :

Twitter . Instagram . Artstation . Behance

Blog Entries

Sorry for the thread necro but I've not been back in ages and only just seen this thread. Meh, I'm not that sorry, it may give newcomers to the site a chance to see something they may have missed.
    Anyway, I saw this map a few days ago on MB's DA page and was blown away. Fantastic map. I recognise the shape and the biomes etc. but otherwise this map is so far beyond what my own attempt was that it makes me embarrassed. Not joking. Magnificent map, Misty, as are all your pieces of art. You should be very proud and your client should be ecstatic.

One thing though (and the main reason for this thread necro)... you mention in the OP that the Lykarnia map was a big inspiration for you over 10 years ago... see, that's where you are wrong. I distinctly remember. It was about 3 years ago. No way it can be 10. Nope. Nuh-uh. I'm not having that. Wrong wrong wrong!
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Really interesting shapes to the continents. Great work!

Quote Originally Posted by Dimension Door View Post
    Thank you for the insight in the process! I think it’s awesome that a client adds references like Dürer and Doré! Their work is amazing but not generally connected with maps. I’ve the illustrated bible of Doré on my bookshelf and it is a delight to thunb trough the pages once in a while, will do that again but now with a different view.
    Always glad if I can help ! And... lucky you for having that Bible. I own myself the Fables de la Fontaine with Doré illustrations, and that's always an inspiration !

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Moureau View Post
    Another jewel... Dark yet delightful, I love it !

Thanks for sharing this beauty, there's always so much to learn from your maps...
    Better late than never (I say this way too often I'm afraid...), thanks so much, Marc !

Quote Originally Posted by Ramah View Post
    Sorry for the thread necro but I've not been back in ages and only just seen this thread. Meh, I'm not that sorry, it may give newcomers to the site a chance to see something they may have missed.
    Anyway, I saw this map a few days ago on MB's DA page and was blown away. Fantastic map. I recognise the shape and the biomes etc. but otherwise this map is so far beyond what my own attempt was that it makes me embarrassed. Not joking. Magnificent map, Misty, as are all your pieces of art. You should be very proud and your client should be ecstatic.

One thing though (and the main reason for this thread necro)... you mention in the OP that the Lykarnia map was a big inspiration for you over 10 years ago... see, that's where you are wrong. I distinctly remember. It was about 3 years ago. No way it can be 10. Nope. Nuh-uh. I'm not having that. Wrong wrong wrong!
    Awww, I hate to think I can depress you in any way ! In any case, I think our styles can't be compared : there's a poesy in your maps I always envy
    But it sounds I made a mistake, as you kindly mentioned. I was, of course, talking about the 2010 we had 3 years ago, not about the one we had 10 years ago. Of course
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lykarnia_Ramah.JPG 
Views:	40 
Size:	50.2 KB 
ID:	127830 (Lykarnia by Ramah Palmer).

Quote Originally Posted by AriochIV View Post
    Really interesting shapes to the continents. Great work!
    Glad you love it ! The shapes weren't exactly by me, as I redrew a map already existing here

Guild Novice

Default Exquisite!

This map is so gorgeous! I especially love the fade from the warmer climes up into the arctic regions! Brendan

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast