Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lake Winnebago

Default Lake Winnebago

Hey Guild !

Here is an unusual map, drawn back in 2018 for a private commission, and which I had to rework a little recently.
    The point here was to draw a map of the Lake Winnebago, simulating an historic style but including a lot of modern details and datas. Focusing on the lake itself, the additionnal illustrations are only in the water : ships, monsters, sirens, etc.
    As far as I remember, it was my first time trying to emulate this kind of style, and because of its huge size and minimal budget, it was a challenge to made it look both consistent and not just feeling empty. A very interesting and challenging project, which made me progress a lot ^^

Usual information :
    - 24x30 inches,
    - Hand drawn in Photoshop using a Wacom Cintiq (not sure which version of PS, not sure which Cintiq... ^^),
    - Private commission - all rights reserved.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LakeWinnebago_by_MistyBeee.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	3.13 MB 
ID:	123330

I do hope you'll enjoy it even if it's a bit different from my usual fantasy universe !

Prints available here if you're interested

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

I love the way you managed to obtain a kind of "blur", which helps to obtain this look of old !

Graphically, I don't think it's your most beautiful map, but the "old" effect is really well rendered ... And you're definitely the queen of the arabesques ! !

Professional Artist SteffenBrand's Avatar

Can you do something that ISN'T good? Wow, again...
    Can't rep you right now, sorry.
    Visit me on ArtStation.

Wow.. This map looks good no matter how zoomed in you are. And with all the compassrose lines it does not feel empty at all!

Great map with gorgeous lettering and such an authentic look... as usual, you never disappoint !

I love this, in particular, the shifts in style between cities and small settlements. Feels appropriately transitional.

Guild Expert

It’s stunning! as always... This is the type of map which made me love cartography to begin with, and it’s every bit as beautiful as you’re usual style.

Nice, fun map!

I was surprised to learn at last that there were sea monsters in Lake Winnebago. When I lived in Neenah and worked in Oshkosh I never was aware of anything larger than big sturgeons!
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    I love the way you managed to obtain a kind of "blur", which helps to obtain this look of old !
    Graphically, I don't think it's your most beautiful map, but the "old" effect is really well rendered ... And you're definitely the queen of the arabesques ! !
    Thanks Jo ! Hehe, I kinda agree with you, but well... as told, it's an old map and the constraints for this one were very, very strong
    And what could you do with those square borders ? Worse than Mordor ! ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    A splendid piece, Beee.
    The Queen of Arabesques !!!
    I should hire someone to build for me some shelves to store all the crowns you put on my head, guys ! Not sure if I merit half of them, but be sure they're loved and polished every day !

Quote Originally Posted by SteffenBrand View Post
    Can you do something that ISN'T good? Wow, again...
    Can't rep you right now, sorry.
    Seeing you around is more than enough, Steffen ! Always a pleasure !!

Quote Originally Posted by Dimension Door View Post
    Wow.. This map looks good no matter how zoomed in you are. And with all the compassrose lines it does not feel empty at all!
    Thanks Dim'Door ! The marteloire was very interesting to build in this map !

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Great map with gorgeous lettering and such an authentic look... as usual, you never disappoint !
    Relieved to read this, Ilanthar ! I often have mixed feelings about this map, but it may be because real world maps are never my favorite ^^'

Quote Originally Posted by KMAlexander View Post
    I love this, in particular, the shifts in style between cities and small settlements. Feels appropriately transitional.
    Thanks Michael ! It was challenging, yet interesting, to mix styles and scales here. With your good eye for ancient styles, I'm glad you appreciate !

Quote Originally Posted by kacey View Post
    It’s stunning! as always... This is the type of map which made me love cartography to begin with, and it’s every bit as beautiful as you’re usual style.
    Thanks so much, Kacey ! It was my first time trying to emulate historic styles that closely, and I learned a lot while drawing it. This was definitely a turning point for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Oliva View Post
    Nice, fun map!
    I was surprised to learn at last that there were sea monsters in Lake Winnebago. When I lived in Neenah and worked in Oshkosh I never was aware of anything larger than big sturgeons!
    I guess it's why the client commissionned this map : too many people unaware about the dangers of the lake ! From what I was told, the sirens are especially active there. Weren't you extremely lucky ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast