Thread: [WIP] The Kingdom of Rasfadal

Default [WIP] The Kingdom of Rasfadal

Long ago I did a map for the main kingdom of my homebrew setting, and also the kingdom in which the campaign I'm DMing takes place, the Kingdom of Rasfadal. Recently I decided that it was time for an updated version of the map. I have always been in love with the maps for Kingdom Come: Deliverance, so I decided to do the new map in a similar style. This is where I'm currently at. At this point there's already 70-90 hours put into this map and I expect to put in at least 30-50 more.

Here's the full map at 50% size
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New Kingdom of Rasfdal WIP 1.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	5.84 MB 
ID:	125412

And here are some zoomed in bits
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crop 1.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	2.46 MB 
ID:	125413Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crop 2.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	2.78 MB 
ID:	125414Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crop 3.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	2.40 MB 
ID:	125415

As always, let me know what you think! I want this map the be the best it can be, so any feedback is welcome!

-Daniel

I really like how you create the height information by tilting some hills and trees. The cliffs are my second favourite part. Really loved the style, it's detailed but simple enough to read and definetly a joy to take a closer look. I also loved the clean labels.

As a suggestion, maybe there can be more colors on this one. It might already be on your list but some more tone variations in mountains and maybe hills might take this to another level.

Looking forward for the next steps and finished version. Loved this so far!

This looks great, Dan.
    I hear ya on being inspired by Kingdom Come maps. They are gorgeous.
    I drew up some trees for a style like that a few years back, but haven't gotten around to using them in a map.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeniaMaps View Post
    I really like how you create the height information by tilting some hills and trees. The cliffs are my second favourite part. Really loved the style, it's detailed but simple enough to read and definetly a joy to take a closer look. I also loved the clean labels.

As a suggestion, maybe there can be more colors on this one. It might already be on your list but some more tone variations in mountains and maybe hills might take this to another level.

Looking forward for the next steps and finished version. Loved this so far!
    Thanks Zenia! It's really fun playing around with the terrain like that. Some areas are still very flat, so I'll probably do some more work on them, but I've already found out that it's very easy to lose myself in it and over do it.

Some colour variations are a good idea. I'm not entirely set on the current colours yet, but I'll deinitely try to add some more variation with the final version.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    This looks great, Dan.
    I hear ya on being inspired by Kingdom Come maps. They are gorgeous.
    I drew up some trees for a style like that a few years back, but haven't gotten around to using them in a map.
    Thanks John! I haven't even played the game, but I can just lost in looking at all the details in those maps. Really inspiring work. I would love to see what you would do with a style like this!