Thread: The Duchy of Bernland

Default The Duchy of Bernland

Hello, I have made a map of the Duchy of Bernland from my overall project of mapping my made up Kingdom of Kenland. This shows the counties within the duchy and their lords. Credit to Wappenwiki for the charges used in the various coat of arms. Any and all critiques on how I can improve are welcomed!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bernland top.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	4.48 MB 
ID:	123612
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bernland bottom.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	8.21 MB 
ID:	123613

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

Really nice style! The larger deer and archer is rather unique but really fits the style of the map.

Wow, that's a lot of work, incredible. Love the medieval style.

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

What an incredible job! All these details, all these villages, all these names to find...
    There are so many of them that you get lost in them... but the view of the map in its entirety is very fascinating! You get a feeling of reality from the number of elements drawn.
    Nice work also to reproduce an old map : the old feeling is there.
    My only small remark would be on the border: it is very wide, with very bright colors, but above all, in a zoomed map, there is a texture of paint that, personally, I do not find necessarily appropriate. But this is just a detail. Congratulations !

Thank you everyone for your wonderful comments! They mean a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    What an incredible job! All these details, all these villages, all these names to find...
    There are so many of them that you get lost in them... but the view of the map in its entirety is very fascinating! You get a feeling of reality from the number of elements drawn.
    Nice work also to reproduce an old map : the old feeling is there.
    My only small remark would be on the border: it is very wide, with very bright colors, but above all, in a zoomed map, there is a texture of paint that, personally, I do not find necessarily appropriate. But this is just a detail. Congratulations !
    Yes I was somewhat hesitant on the border. Since the map is quite large (About 6x6 feet!) I was conflicted on how wide the border should be. I didn't want the border to be too small, since then it would be dwarfed by the size of the map. I felt like I had to choose between making the border look good zoomed in, so making it small, or making it look good zoomed out, by making it big.

Regarding the vibrancy of the color and the texture of the border: I do agree, I could do better on that! I will play around with this some more!

Thank you for your critiques! It's always nice to know that the things I'm iffy about isn't just me being crazy!

Edit: Oh, I also forgot to mention that I completely forgot to add in a legend! I will probably do that as well!
    Last edited by Edward II of Kenland; 06-29-2020 at 12:55 PM.