Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Upgraded Mac, Software Issues - GIMP, KRITA & CC3+

If you're looking to use CC3+ with Wine and have problems getting it all set up, please ask at the ProFantasy forums and/or directly to ProFantasy tech support. There are quite a few folks using CC3+ under Wine and willing to offer assistance.

I recommend new CC3+ users watch a tutorial video or two before getting too deeply into things. I'm a fan of the SYMFILL command myself because I'm way to lazy to click that much.

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    Pretty much.
    As an example lets say you wanted to create a Mountain animated brush, caveat here, I've not actually done this so it may not be 100% accurate but you'll get the idea, you create a new document at your preferred resolution, lets say it's for print so we'll create it at 300ppi and make it 300x300px. You draw your 1st mountain shape on Layer 1 , then your second on layer 2 and so forth. Obviously you keep each differing shape in the same general style. Apparently it works well with 6-8, and possibly more, layers. If you have a white background layer delete it so all your layers are transparent, then in GIMP, you save it in GIMPs brushes folder with the extension for animated brushes, which IIRC is either .gbh or .gbr Then when you want draw a sequence of mountains, you just set the spacing to something you're happy with and draw your mountains in, working from top to bottom. GIMP randomly selects a a layer from the stack for each instance. I'm sure there is a tutorial here about them. If not, there are definitely some on YouTube.
    Last edited by damonjynx; 06-28-2020 at 08:17 PM.
    Glory is the reward of valour.

My blog at: damonjynx.blogspot.com.au

Finished Maps

Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
    If you're looking to use CC3+ with Wine and have problems getting it all set up, please ask at the ProFantasy forums and/or directly to ProFantasy tech support. There are quite a few folks using CC3+ under Wine and willing to offer assistance.

I recommend new CC3+ users watch a tutorial video or two before getting too deeply into things. I'm a fan of the SYMFILL command myself because I'm way to lazy to click that much.
    Awesome, thanks Waldronate. I will do. How do I join the CC3+ group here?

Finished Maps

Quote Originally Posted by damonjynx View Post
    Awesome, thanks Waldronate. I will do. How do I join the CC3+ group here?
    That's an excellent question. Fortunately, it says you're already a member so I don't need to worry about it. Dodged the responsibility bullet again!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Oliva View Post
    Moral of this story: If one wants to communicate well, it's best to call things by their real names.
    Yes, Mark, I am inept. -_- I do enough of a job reminding myself of that without your help, so because of this specific comment, I am done with this thread and providing my thoughts on workflow on Mac. If someone else wants to hear from me on the topic you can PM me.
    Last edited by Tiana; 07-01-2020 at 03:34 AM.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post

Waldronate you tease, what does that command do? Is it like the street tool thing in cities? I've just started my first map, a re-do of a commission piece using the Jonathon Roberts (aka Torstan here for those that don't know of him) Overland style, and am now insanely curious. I'm not sure if it's the best style for this particular map but we'll see how it goes.

Finished Maps

SYMFILL isn't as exciting as it sounds. It fills something with symbols (It's called "Symbols in Area" in the menus to distinguish it from the FOREST command, which is "Fill with Symbols"). SYMFILL can make orchards or random messes, scale things by distances from the edge, align things to the edge tangent or perpendicular, and do lots of stuff that involves a placing things onto a jittered grid with a distance field value/gradient computed from a set of entities. Some examples of its use appear in http://forum.profantasy.com/comments...cussionID=7861 and https://rpgmaps.profantasy.com/autom...drawing-tools/ and https://rpgmaps.profantasy.com/drawi...attered-woods/ at the ProFantasy blog. Your mentioning an animated brush (random groups on the symbol placement tools in CC3+) brought it to mind because it's basically an automated animated brush for those of me who are too lazy to click a lot.

SYMFILL is the 2D analog of the ESC (escarpment), which puts things along the edges of entities. They have similar dynamics, but each is a little better adapted for its intended purpose. The FOREST command in CC3+ is a bit different than SYMFILL in that it uses blocks of symbols of various size in order to tile an area on the map. SYMFILL has better dynamics, but FOREST can tile an area in fewer symbols with the right set. Tiling with as few symbols as possible was very important in CC2, but CC3+ is a bit more efficient.

Thanks Waldronate, I'll have to check that out. I could use that tool on this map - there are areas of forest where the style fill pattern just doesn't suit and I spent a good 10-15 minutes placing individual (though -random) trees.

Finished Maps

My laziness knows few bounds (and those are usually along the line with the area marked "hard work").

This discussion is fascinating, with solid points all around. Tiana i am most sad that u have not found CC3+ good enough to be helpful to u . I suspect if u keep tinkering with it u will find it more useful but perhaps i am wrong. Mr. Oliva i have tried 3 times to install the amazing art in your massive packages into CC3+ and failed every time. I truly wish they made it easier to install third party stuff...that is my biggest complaint about the program. It is very unintuitive. I like it anyway

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast