Thread: The Tribal Isles

Guild Apprentice

Map The Tribal Isles

This is my first regional map! It's a colored isometric map and I tried to give it a little bit of a 3D effect using shadows. I'm looking for some feedback and ways I can improve

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The tribal isles.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	1.97 MB 
ID:	123670

If you like it would like me to make a similar map for you you can give me a message at edwardhunt0001@gmail.com

Cheers!
    -Edward

Guild Novice Guild Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Maps View Post
    This is my first regional map! It's a colored isometric map and I tried to give it a little bit of a 3D effect using shadows. I'm looking for some feedback and ways I can improve

Name:	The tribal isles.JPG 
Size:	1.97 MB 
ID:	123670

If you like it would like me to make a similar map for you you can give me a message at edwardhunt0001@gmail.com

Cheers!
    -Edward

I love the look of it, what program did you use. i like the shading in the water and the contrast between the water and the land is nice.

Guild Apprentice

I’m using CC3+

Guild Apprentice

I hopped back on this this morning. I added some glow to the coastlines resized some of the symbols. Changed some of the symbols and blended the land.

Name:	The tribal isles watermaked.JPG 
Size:	2.22 MB 
ID:	123734

this is the finished version.

Nice job Edward. My only thing is the shadows are throwing it off for me, they seem too long, partricularly for some of the outcrops. And the one of the mountain on the middle, western island just looks wrong, it is too square I think.

Good use of the Schley Ovelrand style though.
    Glory is the reward of valour.

My blog at: damonjynx.blogspot.com.au

Finished Maps

Guild Apprentice

Thanks for the feedback I might update this a bit and see what I can do

Guild Apprentice

I looked up shadows of cone/shadows of mountains and yea you are right, they aren't that boxy. And of course that would happen as i'm using a 2D plane to make a 3D effect. So i worked out a way to draw my own. I used two sheets one above the land and one below the grid so that I could keep the same effect with the grid. and blurred it. if the shadow was above the grid it ends up blurring with the grid. It was hard and time consuming to get the shadows consistent with the trees but I tried. I just need some more practice. and possibly a pro tractor tool in CC3+. (Cool thought... crazy thought... making a protractor symbol adding transparency so that you can work with it on screen might do the trick.

Views:	11 
Size:	3.91 MB 
ID:	123745

Guild Apprentice

Also, your were right about the outcropings (cartouches) they weren't touching the water and should not have had a long shadow like that. so I added a drop shadow to the compass and moved the text to a different layer and added a drop shadow that brought the text closer to the water and then added some glow around it to make it pop out a bit more. Thanks for pushing me to look a bit more up. I learned a lot.

Views:	23 
Size:	3.94 MB 
ID:	123746