Guild Apprentice

Default My Next Project

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lala.JPG 
Views:	58 
Size:	1.61 MB 
ID:	123671

Hi Everyone,

Here is a peek at my next project. I'm a bit new to mapping (started in 2019 with some hand drawn stuff) and this is by fat my largest map. If you could give me some feedback I'd be pretty happy

My thoughts:

I finished the land masses and sea contour and I like it a lot. I added some glow to the coastlines so that they can stand out from the sea and add some contrast between the desserts and the wave pressed coastlines.

The map does seem a bit noisy to me. what do you think?

I want to add a coordinate grid with longitude and latitude lines. I have no idea how to do this (yet...) if someone could point me in the right direction it would be a big help.

I want to do something a bit more creative with the map border but I'm not sure what to do yet. Ideas are helpful

also if anyone is looking for a map, I'm looking for new projects. Send me an e-mail at edwardhunt0001@gmail.com.

I'll keep posting here as I make some progress!

Peace,
    Edward

Guild Apprentice

Hi everyone,

Made some progress today. increased the image quality to 600ppi, added an L&L grid, Made the rivers fatter and added more, and continued to add detail.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lala2.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	7.50 MB 
ID:	123693

Cheers,
    Eddie

Guild Apprentice

Not 100% sure how I feel about the grid.

I agree with you re: the grid. The graticule in your second post makes the map look like it's an orthographic-ish projection (or are you using a different projection / is this meant to be more abstract?) with the north pole tipped slightly toward the viewer, but the grid as drawn doesn't actually show the north pole like I'd expect. The graticule also would imply some pretty severe distortions along the edges, but the continents don't reflect that distortion.

Regarding your grid I think perhaps making the lines a lot thinner but increasing their opacity would make it look cleaner. Overall your style is shaping up!

Guild Apprentice

Haha wasn't meant to be abstract. But you're the continents didn't really reflect that. it looked distorted.

Guild Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Edward II of Kenland View Post
    Regarding your grid I think perhaps making the lines a lot thinner but increasing their opacity would make it look cleaner. Overall your style is shaping up!
    Yea I tried that and added a hex grid instead. the grid wasn't a fill so I couldn't edit it so much. but making it thinner made it look much less noisy and much more clean. Thanks for the advice. I tried some new things too. will be posting later tonight.

Guild Apprentice

Here's the update!

I added a new back drop courtesy of iguy. (nice dark parchment) and added some text in Finnish. I might play with the effects on it a bit more tomorrow.

I decided not to make this into a globe but rather a region of a world. Nixed L&L for hex grid. might make it darker tomorrow. (Thanks For the advice guys)

Finished the landscapes and added towns, cities and ports. I erased the southern wastes as this is just a region now I thought having it near the north might be nice.

All that's left is adding roads and names of places I think. any ideas for Finnish city names?

Edward
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LALA.JPG 
Views:	90 
Size:	3.89 MB 
ID:	123701  

Guild Apprentice

I did some late night work still messing around with the text.

Name:	LALA2 (2).JPG 
Views:	77 
Size:	3.93 MB 
ID:	123702  

Guild Apprentice

Here's my update. I think this has come a long way.

I was just messing around with this, but something I'm going to plan better in the future is the map's size and shape. I had a hard time making the map larger in order to fit text and or make it the shape I wanted. if anyone knows an easy way to adjust that in CC3+ it would be a great help. I looked online and it said copy and paste everything to a new map, but I couldn't get it to work.

The title of the map is Viimeinen Valtakunta. "the last kingdom" if google translate is correct. if anyone is able to check how google translate did for me it would be appriciated.

Even with the cropped text I think it looks nice and it adds a little character to it. Possibly, The text added is the map maker (in world not me.) going mad from a vision he had of the lich queen. He wrote this long rant in verse to try and help calm his madness. A moment of clarity strikes due to a helping hand from a god of this realm. He paints over his verse. He realizes he only has little time left before he succumbs to madness again. He uses his time to help others prevent the atrocities he foresaw unfold. Some lines are hard to see and some are scrambled but he somethings seem to be repeated over and over. "Find the immortal servant" is one line that appears many times on the map.

I might add more bits and clues on the actually map to show this later. I like the idea.

unless I like it the way it is after sitting on it a day or two.

Thoughts?

Name:	viimeinen valtakunta.JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	4.01 MB 
ID:	123711  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast