Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The city of Tegath

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Map The city of Tegath

Hey, everybody!

I hope everything's all right with you all...

Here's a map of a town in the Ulkar and Tegath region (the map is here) It's a region where a story written by my wife is taking place... the writing is progressing and so is the need for maps. The adventurers have now arrived in Tegath... whose map is here:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tegath.jpg 
Views:	314 
Size:	9.39 MB 
ID:	123694

Entirely made on Procreate for Ipad (except for the border and the labels)... It felt like it took a thousand years to make this map: cities map are so longto draw... I tried to go fast, though, and not to dwell too much it details (and I know it shows...).

The architecture is obviously inspired by the wonderful cities of J. Edward. Several details were made necessary by the course of history (the presence of rich and poor neighborhoods, a palace, a large inn, and also the presence of undergrounds, whose map will also be unveiled here soon)

Criticism and comments welcome!

Wow the detail in here is insane! It looks like you drew every crack in the stone in the ground! I can only imagine how long that took! I love the colored pencil looking style of the grass and the water A very nice piece!

The heavy lineweight on the outer cliff edges clashes a bit for me but other than that I think it looks fantastic.
    My new Deviant-thing. I finally caved.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

This looks really cool! I would agree with Larb about the cliff lines being a bit thick for my liking but that is literally the only critique I can think of! I especially like how the river/branch of the river emerges from under the city ( under the 10). It hints at the underground area!

Quote Originally Posted by Edward II of Kenland View Post
    Wow the detail in here is insane! It looks like you drew every crack in the stone in the ground! I can only imagine how long that took! I love the colored pencil looking style of the grass and the water A very nice piece!
    Thanks a lot ! Actually the houses took forever... as the whole map...

Quote Originally Posted by Larb View Post
    The heavy lineweight on the outer cliff edges clashes a bit for me but other than that I think it looks fantastic.
    I do agree with you... I started with that pencil and tried to make some effects... not very successful I do admit. Thanks for your comment !

Quote Originally Posted by Arimel View Post
    This looks really cool! I would agree with Larb about the cliff lines being a bit thick for my liking but that is literally the only critique I can think of! I especially like how the river/branch of the river emerges from under the city ( under the 10). It hints at the underground area!
    Thanks a lot : the river is a part of the undergrounds of the city. I intend to finish that map very soon... just some colors to add (and lights effects...) ... 2-3 months ???

Guild Expert

Nice job JO! The buildings look great and the colour pallet, especially in the thumbnail view is really very nice.

There’s a couple of artifacts left over from you’re border lines though, just on the bottom right and left corners. The one that stands out the most is just below the red wax... It’s not a big deal but super easy to fix so I thought I’d point it out.

You’re wife will be happy you made such a nice map for her story!

Quote Originally Posted by kacey View Post
    Nice job JO! The buildings look great and the colour pallet, especially in the thumbnail view is really very nice.

There’s a couple of artifacts left over from you’re border lines though, just on the bottom right and left corners. The one that stands out the most is just below the red wax... It’s not a big deal but super easy to fix so I thought I’d point it out.

You’re wife will be happy you made such a nice map for her story!
    Thanks a lot, Kacey !

I'm glad you liked this map ! And thanks too for pointing out thoses "left overs" ... I wasn't thorough enough before calling this map done

Actually my wife is embarassed because I took so much time to do this map and it's only a short part of the story... But I can't just draw half of the city... and it might give her more ideas for other stories.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

Seriously JO, can't you make a half-assed map, just once? Do you have any idea how all these glorious pieces make us feel? Have some mercy

This is an awesome map though. So much detail, and so consistent! If I had to name something, then it's the fact that the brush used for the cliffs is much fatter than the one you used for everything else, which kinda pulls me out of it. But it still kinda works too, if I convince myself that these thicker strokes are actually shadowy cracks. So no big issue, just praise praise praise
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Quote Originally Posted by Caenwyr View Post
    Seriously JO, can't you make a half-assed map, just once? Do you have any idea how all these glorious pieces make us feel? Have some mercy

This is an awesome map though. So much detail, and so consistent! If I had to name something, then it's the fact that the brush used for the cliffs is much fatter than the one you used for everything else, which kinda pulls me out of it. But it still kinda works too, if I convince myself that these thicker strokes are actually shadowy cracks. So no big issue, just praise praise praise
    Thanks so much for your kind words, Caenwyr ! Great praise for a map that I see so many flaws in. You're absolutely right about the brush I used on those cliffs... I'm not sure what I was thinking at the time. I'm trying to work on the relief, the mountains, and to use variable width brushes, but this is really not a happy choice. But like I said, I've spent so much time on this map, that I'm looking forward to moving on... I just need to keep this bad choice in mind for next time. Anyway, thank you for your compliments, they go straight to my heart and are a great encouragement to keep going and try to improve!

Cool map, Jo ! You definitely nailed the colors here : they're just perfect !
    Please have some ice for your wrist after those cobblestones...!
    ^^

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast