Thread: How do I go about making a continent on one of the poles of a planet?

Default How do I go about making a continent on one of the poles of a planet?

I'm trying to flesh out a world map past the initial continents I have, and I wanted a continent that was on the south pole somewhat. I have the shape of the continent roughly worked out but being over the pole, it'd look completely different in a map projection.

Would this be something I can do somehow with G.Projector or some other software?

Start with a polar map projection and draw your continent. Then use a piece of software to reproject it to your desired projection. I recall hearing that G.Projector wants an Equirectangular projection input, so you'll need something to go from your polar projection to Equirectangular. Many years ago I wrote a Windows program called ReprojectImage ( http://www.fracterra.com/ReprojectImage.zip ) that can go from various projections to Equirectangular, but it's a little twitchy.

Thanks! I've had some luck playing around with the program so far. I was going to offset the continent from the south pole ever so slightly because you never really see people do continents where the south pole is a few miles from the shoreline, but it ended up looking really weird in projections so I might have to move it slightly!

Helpful little program though, once I got to grips with it.

Glad you were able to get it to work. Like I said, the UI is a little peculiar.