Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Land of the Batman Who Laughs: DC Comics Metal-verse map by Jared Blando

Professional Artist Facebook Connected TheRedEpic's Avatar

Map The Land of the Batman Who Laughs: DC Comics Metal-verse map by Jared Blando

Hey All,

Been a bit since I have posted, but I have been quite busy and haven't really had the time to do social media stuff!

That aside, I have been working for a number of clients, for DC Comics being one of the prominent ones. Both on their "The Last God" DnD5E supplement which was a blast (I will post those maps soon), and this massive map of the twisted DC universe as seen by Lexx Luthor.

This piece is previewed in Death Metal issue #1 and the full map is featured Death Metal issue #2, here is a link to DC Comics article: https://www.dccomics.com/metal?fbcli...s6POsWsKmBDi3g

The Idea and Execution
    I went with a combinations of different styles for this map and did some experimenting. My trademarks are there, but it was interesting going for a more inky look. It was more monochromatic in the beginning, but the art director wanted more color, so I figured I'd push it into "colored" inks territory. I painted in some elements, while leaving others more ink-like, and overall I think it comes together.

The map is of the world ruled over by the Batman who Laughs, a horrible combination of the Batman and Joker. The earth has been rent and twisted by his psyche, and every region forms a different part of the DC universe.

It was interesting doing a non-fantasy fantasy map. They basically just let me take the ball and run with it which is always nice.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Batman Metalverse JB WEB PREVIEW MKI.jpg 
Views:	2498 
Size:	6.15 MB 
ID:	123704
    Comments and Crits welcome,
    ~Blando

Awesome man! That is bloody brilliant!
    Glory is the reward of valour.

My blog at: damonjynx.blogspot.com.au

Finished Maps

I have long since ran out of new things to say when commenting on your work. It simply is beyond amazing, as always. The shift in tone if certainly noticeable, but it's still very you in every possible way. Love it.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Wow, Jared, that's incredible! I gotta admit, when I saw the thumbnail, I thought it looked a little 'messy' but as soon as I viewed the full-sized attachment, the true splendour was visible! I especially like your clouds and the inky style has been captured perfectly

Also, apparently the DC universe is very different to what I thought it was...

Wingshaw

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Oooooo! I saw this yesterday in a DC announcement and immediately wondered if someone from the Guild made it. I love it!
    It makes me want to pick up Death Metal and I don't tend to read superhero stuff.

Time to sit down, jaw dropped, admiring this for at least a full day.
    The Valley of Starro... this incredible throne... this stunning work on waves...!
    You're definitely one of us having the strongest style, and I can't have enough of it.
    Wonderful.

This is some kind of art on it’s own. Everything has a stylized feel to it, but not like a comic but more like old asian art. It’s iconic and the colors are so unique. And words are a terrible medium to describe what you feel when I look at this. Amazing.

Thanks for the compliments and high praise everyone, I'm glad you all like the result!

A very distinctive style, to say the least. I could recognize your maps among hundreds.

Uncompromising line art with bold, full shapes, efficient contrast, mysterious sigils and iconic red markers.

This map has the full package !
    My Website
    You can also find my work on :

Twitter . Instagram . Artstation . Behance

Thanks Marc, I appreciate the compliments :-) I always like to try new styles since I either forget how I did certain things, or I get bored and want to try something new. It makes each piece unique in it's own way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast