Thread: Trying to make a brush in gimp - need help

Guild Novice Guild Supporter

Help Trying to make a brush in gimp - need help

Hello,

I am very new in gimp, i trying to make a brush and it is really not going well, i made what i wanted which is the first attachment, i want to use this as a brush for the appearance of trees. when i go to start a new map and use the brush it forms a line around the shape and makes it looked not like what i had imagined haha see second attachment

if someone could point me in the right direction on to how to make this brush work i would be very thankful.

Thank you very much,

Iguy

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tree Brush #1.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	54.2 KB 
ID:	123705Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Brush not working.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	483.8 KB 
ID:	123706
    Last edited by iguy; 06-30-2020 at 09:04 PM.

Yeah, that's not going to work. I don't know about Gimp, but if you wanted to do that kind of photo-fill, you have to either make it into a seamless texture fill, and fill in the trees area rather than using it as a brush, or apply that texture to a flat round brush, or make sure the brush is a seamless square texture set to 'ribbon'. What you're doing would work well for an 'art brush' that didn't have a photo worked into it.

So, if you were in Photoshop, I'd say make it into a 'texture' and then apply that texture to the brush. If Gimp has a similar feature that should do it.

It's going to form that 'line' around it because you've given the edge a fade, which I know why you thought might work, but because the brush isn't separated out enough in its spacing, gives the look of 'a line'. In order to achieve a seamless ribbon, your brush needs to be set to, what in Clip Studio Paint is called ribbon mode. That will adjust the spacing to not overlap the brushes. Here's an example of a recent ribbon brush I made from historical medical illustrations to draw veins. It's a bit imperfect because it doesn't loop right, but it occupies the full space of the square, and at the small resolution in which I was drawing it wasn't extremely noticeable that there was a seam. If there is no ribbon setting for the brush, you will have to manually adjust the spacing between the brushes, usually with a slider, to not overlap when you fill in an area. However, this will be rougher than simply making a large seamless texture fill that would cover the entire page and then masking it to your tree region.

Name:  vein.png
Views: 101
Size:  10.7 KB
    After turning it into a 'ribbon brush' I used it to make these vein clusters. As you see, it does what you wanted, which means it's not overlapping, but just extruding that texture once. When you go up close you'll see it's not exactly perfect, but zoomed out on the forum thumbnail, it looks great! I could have fixed this if I wanted it to be truly seamless but I just wasn't managing to shake off that one pixel gap. D:

Name:	veins roots blood tree artery corner obstacle trap [flesh floor, blood river, eldritch abominati.png 
Views:	45 
Size:	1.58 MB 
ID:	123708

If you give Clip a go I'm happy to send you some brushes that do this so you can swipe their settings. If not, you'll have to search in GIMP for an appropriate setting, which may or may not exist. If it doesn't, just make a large seamless texture and either use the selector tool to decide what part of it to delete, or mask it to a flat shape so it isn't destroyed in the process.
    Last edited by Tiana; 06-30-2020 at 09:21 PM.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

Guild Apprentice

I’m not so familiar with gimp, but from my understanding of brushes, they work like a stamp. Yours looks good, but you have blurred edges and it’s a circle. If you are trying to make it so that it fills an area with trees from a top down perspective, I would draw a bunch of individual tree brushes from a top down perspective and then use the fill with pattern command. And I’m not 100% sure but I think I saw a forum explaining some scripts that can make your fill pattern more random.

https://youtu.be/TAP56mhF-rQ
    https://www.gimp.org/tutorials/Custom_Brushes/
    https://docs.gimp.org/2.10/en/gimp-e...l-pattern.html

Cheers,
    Eddie

Quote Originally Posted by Tiana View Post
    Yeah, that's not going to work. I don't know about Gimp, but if you wanted to do that kind of photo-fill, you have to either make it into a seamless texture fill, and fill in the trees area rather than using it as a brush, or apply that texture to a flat round brush, or make sure the brush is a seamless square texture set to 'ribbon'. What you're doing would work well for an 'art brush' that didn't have a photo worked into it.

So, if you were in Photoshop, I'd say make it into a 'texture' and then apply that texture to the brush. If Gimp has a similar feature that should do it.

It's going to form that 'line' around it because you've given the edge a fade, which I know why you thought might work, but because the brush isn't separated out enough in its spacing, gives the look of 'a line'. In order to achieve a seamless ribbon, your brush needs to be set to, what in Clip Studio Paint is called ribbon mode. That will adjust the spacing to not overlap the brushes. Here's an example of a recent ribbon brush I made from historical medical illustrations to draw veins. It's a bit imperfect because it doesn't loop right, but it occupies the full space of the square, and at the small resolution in which I was drawing it wasn't extremely noticeable that there was a seam. If there is no ribbon setting for the brush, you will have to manually adjust the spacing between the brushes, usually with a slider, to not overlap when you fill in an area. However, this will be rougher than simply making a large seamless texture fill that would cover the entire page and then masking it to your tree region.

Name:  vein.png
Views: 101
Size:  10.7 KB
    After turning it into a 'ribbon brush' I used it to make these vein clusters. As you see, it does what you wanted, which means it's not overlapping, but just extruding that texture once. When you go up close you'll see it's not exactly perfect, but zoomed out on the forum thumbnail, it looks great! I could have fixed this if I wanted it to be truly seamless but I just wasn't managing to shake off that one pixel gap. D:

Name:	veins roots blood tree artery corner obstacle trap [flesh floor, blood river, eldritch abominati.png 
Views:	45 
Size:	1.58 MB 
ID:	123708

If you give Clip a go I'm happy to send you some brushes that do this so you can swipe their settings. If not, you'll have to search in GIMP for an appropriate setting, which may or may not exist. If it doesn't, just make a large seamless texture and either use the selector tool to decide what part of it to delete, or mask it to a flat shape so it isn't destroyed in the process.

Ah thank you so much. i knew i was doing something wrong. thank you for your help, i think i will have to watch some of the tutorials to get this down pat.

i like the idea of the clip paint, does it directly convert to gimp well for imagines you make? or do you use it as its own stand alone map making software?

Thank you for your help

iguy

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Maps View Post
    I’m not so familiar with gimp, but from my understanding of brushes, they work like a stamp. Yours looks good, but you have blurred edges and it’s a circle. If you are trying to make it so that it fills an area with trees from a top down perspective, I would draw a bunch of individual tree brushes from a top down perspective and then use the fill with pattern command. And I’m not 100% sure but I think I saw a forum explaining some scripts that can make your fill pattern more random.

https://youtu.be/TAP56mhF-rQ
    https://www.gimp.org/tutorials/Custom_Brushes/
    https://docs.gimp.org/2.10/en/gimp-e...l-pattern.html

Cheers,
    Eddie
    thank you for your help, so what your saving is save the brush as a template where you can use it with the bucket fill tool?

Thank you for the references, i will be looking at them tonight for sure.

Thank you,

Iguy