Thread: A Collection of Fantasy Maps

Map A Collection of Fantasy Maps

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mapagedone.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	400.3 KB 
ID:	123718

The Land of Xarien -- A map made for a friend's D&D Campaign - using photoshop. This was part of an experiment in using top down mountains that I'm still not terrible fond of...

Name:	jLYuvuX.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	173.3 KB 
ID:	123719

A map I made for a fictional novel I've been working on called The Uncanny -- These are the lands of Sherholden, Taz'Dien, Umbar and Cindressa. The continent itself is as of yet unnamed. Another with top down mountains, slightly better than the first but still not in love with it... The upper portion (the straight line) is a wall built between Umbar and Cindressa, separating the mundane realm from the magical.

Name:	mapforchilenamed_copy.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	123720

Another map made for a friend's D&D campaign. I'm a particular fan of the water areas in this map. [note - the writing is hand done by the patron's girlfriend]

Name:	MAPFORFFFINAL.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	2.50 MB 
ID:	123721

A map for my own D&D Campaign of the land of Fable. Tried a new technique with mountains using a brush and then hand drawing over it (before deleting the brush layer) - much preferred to the top down method.

Name:	J7mZPVC.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	112.0 KB 
ID:	123722

My latest work - a map for a friend's RPG, The Cursed Lands. Softer colors and deeper shadows in this one.

Anywho - that's it for now. Thoroughly enjoyed working on these. Planning a big project soon - multiple continents for another RPG, as well as working on finishing up and D&D map for a friend.

Cheers!

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

A really nice collection of maps here! I like the colors that you have chosen for each of the styles. The map of the Land of Fable is my favorite here though! I like the yellow forest/swamp and the mountains!

I really like your art style but some of your rivers are going to get you in trouble with the river police, mainly in the first two maps.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by QED42 View Post
    I really like your art style but some of your rivers are going to get you in trouble with the river police, mainly in the first two maps.
    Oh don't even get me started!!

Seriously though, while you might need to work on those bifurcations (rivers do bifurcate, but only very, VERY rarely, and only for short stretches too!), I would give you extra points for those top-down mountains! Sure, they're not perfect yet, but you definitely seem to be on the right track to develop a style entirely yours, and more realistic too! I've always kinda disliked side-viewed mountains on a top-down map (if you do both of them in ISO-view, no problem, but mixing two styles is a crime almost as heinous as bifurcating rivers. Oh no, here I go again!! ), and this is a great solution. Curious to see how you're going to evolve this style!
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!