Thread: Software to build a working map

Default Software to build a working map

Hi everybody,
    I'm seeking advice about the best software to choose according to my needs. I'm not seeking to produce final-product artistic maps but reference maps in order to stabilize my creative process, to firmly fix the geography, which is hard for me when I use only hand drawn maps, and be able then to make easily other maps on that basis (the countries at different ages of history, the migration of populations, things of that kind). I guess one way to do it would be to scan hand-drawn maps, use them as a reference and use Photoshop. But Photoshop is not really made to easily calculate distances for a map, I guess, and my wish to be able to work at different scales seems maybe a bit too grand with Photoshop.
    It seems to me that the softwares like Inkarnate or Wondercraft are more made for a final map (that would be useful for the readers of my projects, later), but I don't think that they are adequately accurate and precise for what I want. Moreover, I love stylized maps but at this stage it is not really what would help me (I rather think about the detailed map for Gondor and Mordor for The Return of the King, for example).

I'd use a vector software, like Inkscape, for that purpose. It allows you to work at any scale accurately*, and you can construct things with real measurements. Using real measurements allows you to use a scale (1 mm to one kilometer etc.) and you can use the programs ruler to measure distances. Of course you are still affected by the projection you are using, but I think for most things that can reasonably be ignored and in any case is not deal with by any graphics programs (it is dealt with in things like QGIS etc.).

* This is true to a point, but the more nodes you have the more accurate it's going to stay as you zoom in.

Thank you very much for your answer that is really helpful, @Falconius ! I'll try with Inkscape to begin with.

Guild Apprentice

Hey! I'm sure you've figured out something that works for you by now but I blend QGIS with Inkscape and GIMP to create hand-drawn fantasy maps that also leverage the benefits of actual GIS software. Calculating realistic distances and having a working and living world map I can add to without re-drawing each time is a godsend.

Happy to chat and share what's worked for each of us!

Hi all! I need your help. I want to move my business to the Internet. The functionality of the site is almost ready. But I have a question about the web design. How important is it that the site has a unique design or can I use a template version? It affects only the appearance or site promotion as well?
    And tell me please, to create a unique design I should hire individual freelancers or better to go to a creative firm to attract a team of experienced designers.
    https://www.boldwebagency.com/web-design-pasadena/
    Last edited by kennystone; 08-25-2021 at 04:22 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kennystone View Post
    Hi all! I need your help. I want to move my business to the Internet. The functionality of the site is almost ready. But I have a question about the web design. How important is it that the site has a unique design or can I use a template version? It affects only the appearance or site promotion as well?
    And tell me please, to create a unique design I should hire individual freelancers or better to go to a creative firm to attract a team of experienced designers.
    off topic - try a web design forum.