Thread: Circle Making Tools (pencil or pen)

Default Circle Making Tools (pencil or pen)

I've always loved certain toys and tool for circles and designs like spirograph. Later, when making maps I have had issues with circles. There are times i needed many of a particular size and i had some of the older options and using objects around the house like cups, coasters, pasta measures, etc.

Today something popped up on my radar and i decided to grab it. It seems to have an ok review. Its from the Iris Kickstarter but nold in stores. Here's one review

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=054WDyGxuXI
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eJwOfUY.png 
Views:	15 
Size:	527.3 KB 
ID:	123917

Has anyone else used this? I wont see this for a few months since i wont be home but i hope to review it.

I have absolutely no need for that, but I still want one. It is absolutely beautiful.

As a cheaper option I suggest just buying a circle stencil sheet. The stencils have two advantages, one is that they are transparent so you can locate where you want the circle very easily, the second is that they sit nearly flush with the surface of the paper so when you trace them you won't get as much pen angle distortion. There are two other advantages, one is that the edge is actually entirely circular, and the second is that they generally show two center lines so you can find the center of the circle (the iris really should ad that, I didn't notice any in the video, you can do it yourself also but it's not very simple). The practical advantage of the iris thing there is that between the two extreme measurements it's infinitely adjustable.

I similarly use assorted circle-shaped items to create my circles when drawing. Personally I would shell over a good chunk of money for one of those handy tools, they look like they save a lot of time and effort!

I agree with Fal about the alignment lines, that is sooo handy, and saves the erasing when you misplace it. I hope they get enough reviews about that and end up adding it.

IR
    Last edited by Adfor; 07-14-2020 at 03:45 PM.

They do make a clear plastic one as well.