Thread: Flora survey of Watership Down

Map Flora survey of Watership Down

Hi everyone!

After a week of work, I consider this one done.

Based on Richard Adam's great novel Watership Down, this map is actually a mix between the original map and the botanical data I scooped up from the book. As I explained in the WIP thread, plants play a major role in the story, given that it can be food (dandelion, cowslip, sainfoin for example are highly praised) but also obstacle (When the characters cross the Newton Common, they complain about the queer short vegetation). I tried to incorporate those data the best I could, but it wasn't easy. I didn't put all the plants I found in the book either, to avoid overcrowding the margins. In the end it's not 100% accurate, but I wanted to focus on the overall mood of the english countryside, it's landscape and flora. I hope I managed that!

It's also my first map drawn with a tablet (yay!), I used Krita for the whole drawing part, and then added the texts with Inkscape.

Full size:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Version finale fonnd blanc.png 
Views:	175 
Size:	7.02 MB 
ID:	123906

Smaller version:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Version finale fonnd blanc plus petitt.png 
Views:	57 
Size:	4.02 MB 
ID:	123907
    Last edited by Gadiouka; 07-13-2020 at 12:55 PM.

Now that's an interesting concept !

I absolutely love the idea of a botanical map... It's very elegant.

While the final result looks a bit too modern for my tastes, I find the whole idea quite inspirational.

Good job on managing to gather all these informations and tie them together in a coherent map.
    My Website
    You can also find my work on :

Twitter . Instagram . Artstation . Behance

I really like this! It feels very unique and original! The heavy use of green really gives off a wonderful vibe and you've executed it beautifully! The only thing I can even say I would even begin to think about changing would be to add a light stroke to the border and I'm not sure about that! I really think you did a great job here on this unique map!

Professional Artist Facebook Connected TheRedEpic's Avatar

Very interesting design! I like the way you framed the map itself and the legend tells you immediately how to discern all the elements in it. I like the flora (especially the little illos), but i think their placement and availability in those locations seems a bit broad. Just a minor crit, love the piece :-)

I agree with Marc, really interesting concept

Thank you all for your kind comments! I really like the concept too and think I'll keep playing with it on other projects (maybe on a smaller scale though)

As I already said, it's both interesting and very well done .
    And lovely rabbits.

Merci Ilanthar )