Thread: Hand drawn map of India and neighbouring countries

Map Hand drawn map of India and neighbouring countries

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PSX_20200611_230214.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	2.86 MB 
ID:	123370

I truly am envious of the people who can complete a map within a month, because I... Kinda need to start working quicker. In any case, it took me about three months to finish this. Probably would've taken 4, if I had gone with a more intricate border, but I don't think this map needed that. I apologize for the poor picture quality, and for the fact that it's crooked; it's been about 3 years since I started making maps, and my photography skills certainly haven't improved. Ah well c'est la vie.
    Any and all criticism shall be richly rewarded.
    (P.S. - Anybody know how to change my username on this site? It's about time I picked something more thematically appropriate, I believe).

That is really cool map. I love the style and the old feel to it. Don't worry too much about the time it takes you to finish a map. If you haste yourself you may end up with the unpleasant result.
    The more you draw, the faster you become. Still... a good looking map will take time. Instead of feeling down for being slow, reward yourself with a mental cheer for completing a map. This one is absolutely great!

As for the username, you have to contact with a Community Leader (Ilanthar, Kellerica, ChickPea or J.Edward often visit the forum). Try sending a PM to one of them.
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

Guild Expert

The time you took obviously paid off because this is awesome! It looks great regardless of your photography skills.

It's wonderful to see how you progress on making maps, UGE. You're totally right for the border, this one is perfect to balance the detailed map. Your shading is top notch, your calligraphy really great, and everything look consistent. Good, good job.
    I just wonder if you ever thought about adding white highlights, for example on mountains and parchments ? This could make the map pop in a very beautiful way with this style.

Your maps have a lot of character and if it takes time, so bee it Great work UnstableMapEnthusiast !

Quote Originally Posted by Voolf View Post
    That is really cool map. I love the style and the old feel to it. Don't worry too much about the time it takes you to finish a map. If you haste yourself you may end up with the unpleasant result.
    The more you draw, the faster you become. Still... a good looking map will take time. Instead of feeling down for being slow, reward yourself with a mental cheer for completing a map. This one is absolutely great!

As for the username, you have to contact with a Community Leader (Ilanthar, Kellerica, ChickPea or J.Edward often visit the forum). Try sending a PM to one of them.
    Thank you, that means a lot. Yeah, I'm more or less satisfied with this map, although I could definitely practice my stippling a bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by kacey View Post
    The time you took obviously paid off because this is awesome! It looks great regardless of your photography skills.
    Thank you. And yeah m photography skills are absolute ****. If the professional print place was closer to where I live, I might just get everything scanned.

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBeee View Post
    It's wonderful to see how you progress on making maps, UGE. You're totally right for the border, this one is perfect to balance the detailed map. Your shading is top notch, your calligraphy really great, and everything look consistent. Good, good job.
    I just wonder if you ever thought about adding white highlights, for example on mountains and parchments ? This could make the map pop in a very beautiful way with this style.
    I had considered adding white highlights to the mountains, but I didn't try it on this one, because I was worried I'd mess it up xD. I definitely agree with you though, putting in some highlights might help make things stand out. Thank you so much for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
    Your maps have a lot of character and if it takes time, so bee it Great work UnstableMapEnthusiast !
    Thank you so much. And yeah, that reminds me, I need to get around to changing my name xD.

This looks amazing! I don't have any particular criticism of the map itself, but I've lately had some really good success photographing my work and am happy to pass on what I've learned. I'd love to see a sharper image of all your stippling!

I took a picture of my photography setup for Nothra here: https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...d.php?p=418916

That's a pretty run of the mill DSLR on a tripod. For lens, I've had good luck with a 60 mm macro in the past but recently moved more to my wife's 50 mm prime macro. The prime focus really helps keep the entire map sharp. I position the camera directly above the map and use a level to check its angles. Then I use a self-timer to take the photo to keep my vibrations from shaking the tripod too much. You could probably do this just fine with a consumer camera or phone on the tripod, instead, because...

The lights are really key. There are 3, and the most important are the two lights on either side of the map - the bare bulb closest to me in the photo above, and the other bare bulb on the opposite side of the table. The idea is to get these about 45 deg from the camera viewpoint, and on opposite sides of the map so that they eliminate each others' shadows over the map. You may have to move them around a little. The light behind the diffuser just boosts the overall light level.

The map itself I tape down to the table with painter's tape or drafting tape. (I do water coloring and so end up with some warped paper.)

It takes a little fiddling with levels afterward, but the raw material for that is pretty solid!