Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Abyss Gates

Map Abyss Gates

We were ignorant fools thinking Abaddon would hold them there forever.
    Archangel Gabriel - april 1878

Thus the Abyss was created. Fallen angels were cast deep into the primordial waters where they would be punished for the evil they spread among the chosen. They stayed in this bottemless pit deep under the Needle Ocean where the souls of the dead cast an eerie light on the twisted halls of Abaddon.

Ages passed and they were eventually forgotten.

So when Apollyon raised his army of Locusts and climbed the Angels Arch they were not prepared. Oh, they were not prepared at all...
    ===

This was a really fun personal project to study perspective, lighting, blending modes and hell.. I don’t know if this would count as a map. It has labels..?

edit: this is the map with proper grammar.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7F675F3C-05B2-4AEE-AE0C-661595014A40.jpeg 
Views:	188 
Size:	2.74 MB 
ID:	123857

edit: the map with some big language errors..
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0F4C683C-E318-4D4A-9DE3-42ECA31F3910.jpeg 
Views:	130 
Size:	2.74 MB 
ID:	123841
    Last edited by Dimension Door; 07-08-2020 at 03:18 PM.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

Map or not map (what is the definition of a map even?), this is amazing. Excellent details and the octopus clinging to the pillars is really creative. Excellent!

That is indeed excellent.

The byline being your username though is kind of confusing, especially when your user name is Dimension Door hehe.

Oooooh Lord, what a piece! Love love love this!

IR

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Daelin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dimension Door View Post
    I don’t know if this would count as a map.
    I know what you mean. My most recent map posted on the Guild also isn't really a map, though it did have a bunch of planets with locations attached. But whatever, 99% of the maps on CG are impossible to navigate by, as they are representations of places that don't exist. This is as much a map as any on here.

And it's a pretty cool looking one too. Very original. I like the "dual" point of view, almost like a fish floating in the surf, able to see both above and below the surface. I will point out, though, your labels seem to be missing apostrophes. I'm assuming it should be Angel's Arch, which indicates a possessive, and not Angels Arch, which indicates the plural of angel. Same with a few other names in the map. Also, the title banner reads Abbyss, double B.
    Last edited by Daelin; 07-08-2020 at 02:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arimel View Post
    Map or not map (what is the definition of a map even?), this is amazing. Excellent details and the octopus clinging to the pillars is really creative. Excellent!
    A lot of things can be a map if you think about it.. So thank you for backing me up! And great that you like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    That is indeed excellent.

The byline being your username though is kind of confusing, especially when your user name is Dimension Door hehe.
    Haha, it sort of is a dimension door.. I really struggle with that title though.. there are a lot of things calling themselves Dimension Door and there is even a guy who makes maps so I’m rethinking the title. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Adfor View Post
    Oooooh Lord, what a piece! Love love love this!

IR
    Thank you Adfor!

Quote Originally Posted by Daelin View Post
    I know what you mean. My most recent map posted on the Guild also isn't really a map, though it did have a bunch of planets with locations attached. But whatever, 99% of the maps on CG are impossible to navigate by, as they are representations of places that don't exist. This is as much a map as any on here.

And it's a pretty cool looking one too. Very original. I like the "dual" point of view, almost like a fish floating in the surf, able to see both above and below the surface. I will point out, though, your labels seem to be missing apostrophes. I'm assuming it should be Angel's Arch, which indicates a possessive, and not Angels Arch, which indicates the plural of angel. Same with a few other names in the map. Also, the title banner reads Abbyss, double B.
    I’m so grateful you pointed that out! Somewhere in the back of my mind I knew it was wrong but I really disliked the apostrophes from a design point of view but I’m changing the titles as we speak. But how should I spell Abyss because technically it would be The Gates of Abyss, which is possesive. Abyss’s..? Or are the two s’s sufficient? I’m sorry, English is not my native language and especially grammar is a tough one. I can’t even do that right in my own language..

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Daelin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dimension Door View Post
    But how should I spell Abyss because technically it would be The Gates of Abyss, which is possesive. Abyss’s..?
    Abyss's would be correct, even though I agree, it looks off, somehow. Although "Abyss's Gate" would denote the gate is owned or somehow related to a person or entity named Abyss, like Caesar's Gate. If the gate is simply located in Abyss or otherwise of Abyss, then "Abyss Gate" would also be correct, like Tannhäuser Gate. My issue was more with the misspelling "Abbyss". But yeah, grammar is weird.

You spelled "Abbyss" with two "b"s on the scroll. Considering that you spell it normally in your post, I'm guessing this was a mistake?

There's a lot to love here, but I'm going to give my personal accolade to the lighting on the clouds and the fish-eye-lens perspective that exaggerates the sense of height and depth.

Abyss's would be correct, even though I agree, it looks off, somehow. Although "Abyss's Gate" would denote the gate is owned or somehow related to a person or entity named Abyss, like Caesar's Gate. If the gate is simply located in Abyss or otherwise of Abyss, then "Abyss Gate" would also be correct, like Tannhäuser Gate. My issue was more with the misspelling "Abbyss". But yeah, grammar is weird.
    thank you for the explanation!
    Quote Originally Posted by rdanhenry View Post
    You spelled "Abbyss" with two "b"s on the scroll. Considering that you spell it normally in your post, I'm guessing this was a mistake?

There's a lot to love here, but I'm going to give my personal accolade to the lighting on the clouds and the fish-eye-lens perspective that exaggerates the sense of height and depth.
    Thank you rdanhenry! And I fixed Abyss and all the other labels in the original post

The Gates of Abyss is correct, or as in the corrected version Abyss Gates is also fine. If you wanted to make Abyss possessive it would actually be Abyss', when a word ends in an "s" you don't append another "s" on the end, it's indicated just with an apostrophe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast