Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Abyss Gates

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

I'm blown away by such a quality of drawing! The line in its safety, the choice of colours, the inventiveness in the treatment of perspective, the creativity in the illustration of the theme... it's a real professional work! Very, very, very impressive!

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Daelin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    If you wanted to make Abyss possessive it would actually be Abyss', when a word ends in an "s" you don't append another "s" on the end, it's indicated just with an apostrophe.
    Oh man, I really don't want to be the grammar Nazi, but Abyss's is indeed the correct form. You omit the s and leave just the apostrophe only when the word is a plural, for example "the twins' parents". The plural of abyss would be abysses, so Abysses' would be correct. But yeah, grammar is pretty illogical. In Danish, for example, the rules are completely different: s is still used at the end of words to signify possession, but not apostrophe. Only with words ending with an s-sound is 's then used. Grammar is completely arbitrary, and frankly, kinda stupid.
    Last edited by Daelin; 07-09-2020 at 03:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Daelin View Post
    Oh man, I really don't want to be the grammar Nazi, but Abyss's is indeed the correct form. You omit the s and leave just the apostrophe only when the word is a plural, for example "the twins' parents". The plural of abyss would be abysses, so Abysses' would be correct. But yeah, grammar is pretty illogical. In Danish, for example, the rules are completely different: s is still used at the end of words to signify possession, but not apostrophe. Only with words ending with an s-sound is 's then used. Grammar is completely arbitrary, and frankly, kinda stupid.
    No, I'm afraid it's for the possessive. Look up apostrophe on wikipedia. As you point out the plural is "es".

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    No, I'm afraid it's for the possessive. Look up apostrophe on wikipedia. As you point out the plural is "es".
    Not clear what you are saying here, but "Abyss's" would be the preferred possessive for a single abyss. The rule is not actually arbitrary, but corresponds to when one adds a sound in speech. To be sure, there's no law to be broken here. Unlike French, English has no lawful authority to dictate language usage, but the variant that does not add the apostrophe ess just because the word ends in an ess, even though one vocally adds it, is arbitrary.

Quote Originally Posted by rdanhenry View Post
    Not clear what you are saying here, but "Abyss's" would be the preferred possessive for a single abyss. The rule is not actually arbitrary, but corresponds to when one adds a sound in speech. To be sure, there's no law to be broken here. Unlike French, English has no lawful authority to dictate language usage, but the variant that does not add the apostrophe ess just because the word ends in an ess, even though one vocally adds it, is arbitrary.
    I'm saying it would be Abyss' .

Take another 'wow', Dim' ! I have a box full of them, just for you ! ^_^

This is just great! I love how you played with the lights, shadows and perspective.
    Very original, beautiful lineart.

Somewhere dark and rather dangerous...and also inhabited by these confounded mosquitoes.

This is really great. I know the biblical accounts of which you speak, but I also see that you're adding your own narrative, which is cool. Could you give me some more context on your narrative?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12