Thread: July 2020 Challenge: The Emperor's New Clothes

Default July 2020 Challenge: The Emperor's New Clothes

I haven't made a map in a looooong time. I just haven't been in the headspace for it with everything that's going on in the world. I've probably started a dozen or more over the last year, and abandoned them all.

I happened to read this Twitter thread earlier this month (for context, he's a UK lawyer/political commentator, so approaches his analysis from that perspective). Very soon after, Arsheesh posted the July challenge. The story seemed to lodge in my mind so I decided I'd have to try and make a map for the challenge, basically a regular city map with a few choice locations marked, plus a parade route.

I knew there wasn't a chance in hell I'd manage a full city map before the end of the month (plus I'm going on holiday for a week in a few days), so I hit up this city generator to start me off. I know this is a bit of a cheat but, in my defence, I have done quite a bit to it, and to be honest, I'm just happy that I've managed to stick with it this time, and get this far already.

I have a cunning plan for the bottom bit. I'm either going to do a pic of a parade, or maybe a few individual frames with illustrations relevant to the story. I'm not sure my skills are up to drawing a parade. I'm pretty sure they're not, but I'll see what I can manage. My backup plan is, that if I run out of time or realise that I'm hopelessly out my depth, I'll just chop off the bottom bit and forget the illustrations, and go with the city map only. I hope not to do that but... always have a backup plan!

For the record, I promise my map will be entirely safe for work?!

### Latest WIP ###

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	caesar1.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	7.33 MB 
ID:	123912
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

That's pretty cool CP. The generator is also not bad.
    Glory is the reward of valour.

My blog at: damonjynx.blogspot.com.au

Finished Maps

That's awesome you stuck with this one! I really like the idea of the illustration of the parade at the bottom. I look forward to seeing it!

Quote Originally Posted by damonjynx View Post
    That's pretty cool CP. The generator is also not bad.
    Thanks, yeah, that generator's pretty cool. I've had a play with it before, but never seriously tried using one of the maps it makes. It's a great point to start off. I export the SVG version and open it in Inkscape and take it from there. Everything I've done on this map was done in Inkscape, apart from a subtle texture layer added in Gimp at the end (might be too subtle. Might up the grunge level a little.)

Quote Originally Posted by lain2224 View Post
    That's awesome you stuck with this one! I really like the idea of the illustration of the parade at the bottom. I look forward to seeing it!
    Thanks for the encouragement! I'm having fun with it.

I've been poking about some more today, and have an update of sorts (warning: drawing figures will never, ever be my thing). I don't have a crowd - I'm still working on that - but I do have a very naked emperor, and a very strategically positioned speech bubble!

I don't know where the Napoleon hat idea came from, those just somehow appeared... The guards are very camp, though the guy immediately behind Mr. Emperor to the right seems to be enjoying the view, given the smile on his face. I do not know how that happened...

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	caesar2.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	7.63 MB 
ID:	123935  
    Last edited by ChickPea; 07-15-2020 at 06:45 PM.

That is looking cool, CP
    Glad to see you mapping. And I like the color choices.

Thanks for the comments!

I've done a bit more work, and I'm going to have to call this done, unless I spot some very minor issues in the next day or so. Something's come up and I won't have much more time to work on it, so I guess this is it. It's not the greatest map you'll ever see, but you know, I'm actually kinda pleased with it, mostly because... I FINISHED!!! First map I've managed to complete in ages, so a bit of a personal triumph, I suppose. Had a lot of fun with it too.

### Latest WIP ###

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	caesar3.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	8.01 MB 
ID:	124116

Haha, I wasn't expecting this crowd in the bottom part. Those people's expressions are priceless ! Good job, ChickPea !! ^^
    Finished, that's a victory by itself, but I applause the humour of the whole piece ! I always loved this tale, but would never have imagined to map it !

It's wonderful to see more of your work ChickPea, and a fine bit of work it is. Very clean and readable, and the illustration at the bottom really ties the piece together. Great work.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh