Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [WIP] Atlas map of the Antuzan Empire

Wow, that's very cool. I was literally just wondering the other day why there was no software for generating climate zones. So happy to see Songs of the Eons in development!

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Foreman View Post
    Wow, that's very cool. I was literally just wondering the other day why there was no software for generating climate zones. So happy to see Songs of the Eons in development!
    Their recent updates did remove the ability to import custom heightmaps, so you'd have to track down an old version to get that working, but they are definitely doing some cool work.

I also found this: https://space.geometrian.com/calcs/climate-sim.php, but I wasn't as happy with the results.

There's a problem with your colour gradient in my opinion. The lowest colour going back into the greys is quite confusing to the eye.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	altlayer.JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	13.3 KB 
ID:	123954

The whole atlas part is quite impressive though, and the reliefs look perfect! It reminds me of my current work and you're probably going to inspire me. ^^
    My website (commissions open)
    My LinkTree (to find me everywhere)

Guild Expert

Absolutely stunning work! I have seen many people attempt this style, and do an amazing job of it, but this tops the cake... It’s truly inspiring, great job!

Quote Originally Posted by kacey View Post
    Absolutely stunning work! I have seen many people attempt this style, and do an amazing job of it, but this tops the cake... It’s truly inspiring, great job!
    Wow, thank you! I'm not entirely sure I'm worthy of such high praise, but it is greatly appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by morne View Post
    I don't think it's pretentious, but I do think my process is probably super inefficient and tedious. I am about to start the same process of building the heightmap for a new continent, so at the very least I'll start a progress thread to document the progress from start to finish.
    Oh, that will be very useful!

Here’s a topo-relief style map of the entire continent.

Attachment 123937
    Stunning! Looks very realistic

Not a ton of forward progress these past few days. I decided to switch back to Illustrator from Affinity Designer. There were just a few key features I was really missing, and I could not stand the default smoothing on the pencil tool. At least Illustrator gives you the option to turn smoothing completely off. So now I'm part-way through a semi-manual conversion of the map to ai, which has been a little frustrating.

In the mean time, here's one of the reasons I decided to switch: Vector Pattern fills. Affinity only let's you use bitmaps, and they scale weird when you apply to different sized paths. I'll be using the patterns to fill in terrain types on the map. Here's my wip pattern for forests:

Name:	kador.png 
Views:	78 
Size:	421.6 KB 
ID:	124002

Not a ton of forward progress these past few days. I decided to switch back to Illustrator from Affinity Designer. There were just a few key features I was really missing, and I could not stand the default smoothing on the pencil tool. At least Illustrator gives you the option to turn smoothing completely off. So now I'm part-way through a semi-manual conversion of the map to ai, which has been a little frustrating.

In the mean time, here's one of the reasons I decided to switch: Vector Pattern fills. Affinity only let's you use bitmaps, and they scale weird when you apply to different sized paths. I'll be using the patterns to fill in terrain types on the map. Here's my wip pattern for forests:

Name:	kador.png 
Views:	78 
Size:	421.6 KB 
ID:	124002
    I wonder if there is a way in illustrator to not cut pattern circles on the edge of shape

Quote Originally Posted by Impesio View Post
    I wonder if there is a way in illustrator to not cut pattern circles on the edge of shape
    Only by manually editing the shape size :/
    Last edited by morne; 07-21-2020 at 07:18 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast