Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: [WIP] Atlas map of the Antuzan Empire

that's not ideal when points are small... but I understand. I'm in this type of cartography too, but I'm interested in the "simulational" part of your work.

Well, I think I'm just about ready to call this "done"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	empire-of-antuza-wip.png 
Views:	71 
Size:	8.98 MB 
ID:	124044

I'm sure there will be more modifications as I continue to fill out the other nations on this continent, but for all intents and purposes, Antuza is like 95% complete. I finished up the ocean heightmap, which I was only kind of happy about. I did it by hand in photoshop, and it's obviously not as realistic as the land topography.

Also, I had to switch back to affinity designer, which means no pattern fills for me Illustrator has a lot of really neat features that Affinity just doesn't support, but Illustrator just cannot handle the size of my map. It becomes absolutely crippled whenever panning/zooming around, even on my desktop computer, which is no slouch. Affinity, however, handles it like a champ. Really sad that I'm missing out on Illustrator's features, but after banging my head against it for 3 days, I couldn't take it anymore. I'll be doing 5 more maps on this continent, but I probably won't be posting about them until they are all done. Instead, I'll be updating this post following my process while I work on the continent of Valmere.

This is absolutely stunning!

What software did you use to make your height map?

Surely this map rock!

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    This is absolutely stunning!

What software did you use to make your height map?
    So, so many... the main heightmap is made using GMTED2010 DEM data cut, pasted, and blended in photoshop, but I also used GDAL for projecting heightmaps to various projections, World Machine and Wilbur for some minor terrain manipulation and locating rivers and lakes, and G.Projector for figuring out projections and creating graticules.

I'm documenting this process in this thread

Quote Originally Posted by morne View Post
    So, so many... the main heightmap is made using GMTED2010 DEM data cut, pasted, and blended in photoshop, but I also used GDAL for projecting heightmaps to various projections, World Machine and Wilbur for some minor terrain manipulation and locating rivers and lakes, and G.Projector for figuring out projections and creating graticules.

I'm documenting this process in this thread
    Thanks! I'll go check that out
    Last edited by Victor; 07-25-2020 at 09:14 PM.

Victor's Charts and Maps Emporium -> charts-and-maps.com
    Twitch -> twitch.tv/victordarklenn

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123