Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WIP - Custom Neverwinter Region

Guild Member Guild Supporter

Wip WIP - Custom Neverwinter Region

I don't really have a great name for this map. The group I run is exploring around Neverwinter, and over the course of the game the region has mutated from canon. So I thought I'd take a stab at this.

Lineart isn't completed but I couldn't help getting some base colors in. I continue to explore and figure this out as I go. Giving texture to my colors has been a real challenge in the past and I'll work on that pretty hard with this map.

Special thanks to ThomasR for lending me some brush settings which I am using on the hills right now.

Lots of work to go, but I like the start.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nvrwinter Region Draft 1.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	543.2 KB 
ID:	123962

Nice mountains
    View my website and Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by KaiAeon View Post
    Nice mountains
    Thanks KaiAeon.

Working on shading and texturing here, I moved some line are around. I'll have to add some detail line art to some sections of the mountains to fill them in. Exploring some with the hill work. Forests....well I'm just sort lightly adding and moving colors on low opacity layers, slowly working things.

Name:	Nvrwinter Region Draft 2.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	625.5 KB 
ID:	124069

After some trial and error with some grunge brushes and using different layers, I'm getting the hang of blending the edges of biomes, here I've blurred the base of the mountain ranges, and I've also worked on the ocean. I've added some additional line art too, next will be to work on the hills to make them pop out a bit.

Name:	Nvrwinter Region Draft 3.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	718.1 KB 
ID:	124265

Much improved! I suggest to use some different green colors for different kind of grasses. But maybe it's a think you would do later

Quote Originally Posted by Michi il Disperso View Post
    Much improved! I suggest to use some different green colors for different kind of grasses. But maybe it's a think you would do later
    Thank you! Yes, I see what you mean. I hope to blend some different colors through the landscape to mix it up.

Adding some grass color, now, and I went for a border. This was my first hand at using basic shapes and putting level and emboss on them. I used the mini tutorial from arsheesh. Thanks arsheesh!

Name:	Nvrwinter Region Draft 4.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	962.6 KB 
ID:	124343

This turned out well! Good job.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Fantastic lineart for the mountains. I really love it when people experiment with different shapes and sizes for their mountains. So good job!

Two things I would point out, one I would suggest adding something behind the biggest of the mountains to create some separation between them and grass plains behind them. Maybe some shading or some hills or something. Feel free to experiment.
    Second is a minor one, the rivers caught my eye, maybe think about rounding out the mouth of each river. Rivers tend to cut a more natural exit to the lakes or the sea where flow into. (If you are unsure what I mean with either of those, please let me know)

Other than that, keep up the good work. I am keen to see this one progress.

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project ~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

Quote Originally Posted by XCali View Post
    Fantastic lineart for the mountains. I really love it when people experiment with different shapes and sizes for their mountains. So good job!

Two things I would point out, one I would suggest adding something behind the biggest of the mountains to create some separation between them and grass plains behind them. Maybe some shading or some hills or something. Feel free to experiment.
    Second is a minor one, the rivers caught my eye, maybe think about rounding out the mouth of each river. Rivers tend to cut a more natural exit to the lakes or the sea where flow into. (If you are unsure what I mean with either of those, please let me know)

Other than that, keep up the good work. I am keen to see this one progress.
    Xcali, thanks so much for your suggestions! I definitely agree with you on the mountains. That upper part of the map has been bothering me. I'll add some art up there to make the transition better. I think the river suggestion is great too and I'll work on that.

I actually redid the rivers course to flow a little better in terms of perspective. I worked on the hills and forest colors and I am now working on labeling. This map is for the players in my group, so right now it just has the places they have been too.

Here is the latest:

Name:	Nvrwinter Region Draft 5.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	124483

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast