Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Koreth, or Me Being Overly Ambitious

Quote Originally Posted by Michi il Disperso View Post
    Wow! The feeling is great! The mountain ranges are really genuine!
    The coastline is a bit blurry, that's intentional?
    Yes, the Coasts are supposed to be a bit blurry at this scale, since each pixel is approximately a kilometer across. I will add coast details as I start making zoomed in maps.

Looks very good and belieaveable!

Quote Originally Posted by Naima View Post
    Looks very good and belieaveable!
    Thank you! I've been lurking on here for a while and am a huge fan of your maps, so the compliment means a lot!

Looking really, really good! I love the shapes of the continents. Feels very realistic but also quite different from Earth.

Hey everyone, just a quick update to my map of Koreth. I went through and changed some stuff based on feedback I received here and elsewhere, and also did a lot more work in general. A few details: The large basin in the middle is all below sea level, as the large sea between the continents is currently going through a Messinian Salinity Crisis-type scenario. There will be some hypersaline lakes in the bottom of the basins eventually, but for now I just wanted to share my progress. The area pictured is about 9000km across at the upper map border, and the lower map border sits at about 60 degrees south latitude. As always, feedback is appreciated, and make sure you zoom in to see all the fine details!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AfroEurasia.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	8.86 MB 
ID:	125163

L A R G E L A N D M A S S.

Seriously. That guy is huge. Looking really good!

The final planet map is 40k x 20k, or roughly 1px/km at the equator. Thanks for the compliment!

After I finally get the map done I'm going to start going through the whole history of... everything. Evolution of species, early sentient races, development of agriculture, civilization, all of it. I can't wait, because while I enjoy mapmaking, it is kind of a chore. The real fun is in sight though.

Good job, u must have a monster pc , the maximum mine can handle, with lot of slowdown is 21kx16k.

Quote Originally Posted by Naima View Post
    Good job, u must have a monster pc , the maximum mine can handle, with lot of slowdown is 21kx16k.
    I do, it's kind of silly actually. When I built my current machine about 2 years ago, I designed it with large images in mind specifically for mapmaking. X) I basically have a stupidly powerful minecraft and drawing machine.

This is fantastic! I'm jealous of that height map, I've been feeling like I need to get into Wilbur and these other tools for my own work, but honestly I lack both the processing power and technological know-how at the moment. I really like the idea of Messinian Salinity Crisis-like event- it allows for lots of worldbuilding possibilities.

If I had one critique it would be that it's still somewhat obvious in places where coastlines and elevations were cribbed from Earth (i.e. Nova Scotia, Britain, Greece, Sicily complete with Mount Etna, what looks like the Caucasus). That's only in some places though, so it could probably be disguised with a bit more messing around.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast