Thread: My First Ever Digital Map, Any Thoughts?

Guild Novice

Map My First Ever Digital Map, Any Thoughts?

This map is my first submission on here and first map made digitallty as well! I did this for free for an online author that was willing to let himslef be my guinea pig for my first experience in GIMP. I'm quite pleased with it and I would still love some feedback on it. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tavlion Map.png 
Views:	121 
Size:	8.04 MB 
ID:	124129

It's really good! Maybe not the best choice for the font, but I'm terrible at them so I can't talk much about it. x) Maybe the forests and seas are not very easily distinguishable from each other, but this is also me being nitpicky. More vegetation could help (more diversified maybe? With grass and all). Also you have a typo (Strtech, might as well be Czech!).

You definitely shouldn't go too far with mapmaking for free, there is great commissionable potential there.
    My website (commissions open)
    My LinkTree (to find me everywhere)

Guild Novice

Haha yeah, the font isn't too great, but I was actually approaching it so it could be readable even if the quality was shrunk due to the website he was writing on minimizing high quality images for some stupid reason. And yes, I would've added more vegetation (See the starting of grass near the southern Panawa Tribe) but decided I shouldn't push too hard for a free commission. So this definitely isn't my best work. And yeah, I'm actually starting commissions soon! (Trying to create more maps for a portfolio) And not to mention, I didn't want to charge someone money for something I haven't even done at that point, because it was my first ever usage of my drawing tablet.

Oh, and thanks for pointing out the typo, currently emailing him about right now!

I like it. I might add some shore lines to the lakes to help contrast them with their surroundings. If the bodies of water on the coast have any names then i'd label those too. I like to use slightly different fonts or font colors for different things like you have. Great first map! Keep them coming
    Our sense of the stability of the earth is an illusion due to the shortness of our lives.
    - Neil deGrasse Tyson