Thread: The City of Redoubt: Last Bastion of Mankind by Blando

Professional Artist Facebook Connected TheRedEpic's Avatar

Map The City of Redoubt: Last Bastion of Mankind by Blando

Hey All,

Here is the "The City of Redoubt". This map is featured in The Lost Citadel RPG 5E soursebook by Green Ronin Games, and features the last city of men in a world overrun by a plague infested darkness. Its bastions are high and strong, but it struggles to keep the creeping dark at bay.

The setting is Dark Ages horror, and so the map needed to look Illuminated, but also beaten up. It also had convey alot of information for a player, and considering this is a bit like a "Hub" for PC's, the amount of locations made sense. I went for a more traditional style here, with some renaissance-eque elements that would later be more polished in my later Tyrgolad map. I decided to throw in some figurative elements, not only because they fit the map before it, but also because I wanted to spruce it up a bit and I love doing it :-). Hence the spot illustrations in the legends.

Veterans will probably notice where i tried to cut some corners to make the make the work easier for me. I really don't like having to draw hundreds if not thousands of buildings, unlike some of you! :-P There are some things I would have done differently today, but every piece is a learning experience, and overall I and the client were pleased with the result.

Done with Photoshop CS4, w/Wacom Intuos4 tablet.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Lost Citadel GRP Blando WEB.jpg 
Views:	661 
Size:	1.87 MB 
ID:	124130

Some Detail Shots

Name:	Sample 1.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	703.6 KB 
ID:	124131

Name:	Sample 2.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	460.2 KB 
ID:	124132

Random Factoid:
    I had to follow on the coat-tales of another frankly amazing cartographer named Andy Law, who despite completing the first map, could not tackle this one because he had got himself hired by Cubicle 7 Games.

Shameless Plug

Sourcebook is available HERE

Comments and Crits always welcome,
    ~Blando
    Last edited by TheRedEpic; 07-28-2020 at 10:35 PM.

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Impressive work! Very consistent in style. We can feel the dark fantasy atmosphere in the choice of colors and especially the small illustrations, which are magnificent!

Inspiring map, very nice work

Absolutely amazing. So you, and perfectly in line with the original map of Redoubt, which is one of my favorite ever. Not an easy challenge for sure but wow... you did it so well !

I always love your work. The graphics outside of the city walls are especially compelling to me. Hope you're staying safe in Portland
    Our sense of the stability of the earth is an illusion due to the shortness of our lives.
    - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Professional Artist Facebook Connected TheRedEpic's Avatar

Thanks for all the compliments everyone, always appreciated. Thanks for the well wishes too, we are quite safe :-)