Thread: Utoria -- The Consolidated Lands

Port Development, British Columbia, Canada

Map Utoria -- The Consolidated Lands

Hello all Guild Members,

First of all, thank you to everyone who has ever given me feedback regarding a submitted map; I treasure your responses highly because they’re a reliable benchmark by which to gauge my improvement. In fact, they’re the ONLY benchmark by which to gauge my improvement, except perhaps reputation (and I know I have a LONG way to go before I’m a Guild Artisan, and I eagerly rise to that challenge.)

Second of all, living below the poverty line precludes many luxuries, namely Photoshop, Illustrator, a decent computer, a tablet, and so on (and my cat can get very demanding when she’s hungry). So please forgive me if my only available software, GIMP, on a crappy computer, has given me substandard results, such the blurring of tilted labels and perhaps limited file size (I know this one weighs in at 1838 x 1838 pixels, and I’m pushing the limit here).

I’ve included two maps because I couldn’t decide which looks better; I was hoping you could provide a little feedback on that matter.

By the way, I hope I can get some credit for refusing to juxtapose earthly DEM data; I don’t want to plagiarize Mother Earth, LOL. I’m continuing to pioneer a totally unique topography algorithm, and like many great achievements, this one is going to take a LONG time. (And this is another reason why feedback is more valuable than ever!)

So, here it is. I sure hope you’re not disappointed!

And if I'm blessed with the gift of a response from a Guild Artisan, I want to ask: How am I improving, and how can I make my maps more realistic?

(P.S. This map couldn’t have been completed without Cleo the Russian Blue, and my partner Debbie, whom I am newly engaged to.)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Utoria3.png 
Views:	84 
Size:	1.79 MB 
ID:	124146

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Best Choice.png 
Views:	58 
Size:	804.4 KB 
ID:	124147

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

Both maps look really good to me. I do not think either style is particularly better than the other; they are just that, different styles. I like the sharper one slightly more but that is just me there! My only real critique would be on the river names. On both maps, but particularly the sharper one, the letters are a tad bit more difficult to distinguish. Possibly adding a glow/outline around them would help but you will need someone more skilled in digital maps than me to help you with better advice there!

I also would not discount gimp too much. I have seen some really glorious maps come out of gimp! I do agree about cats though, they can be rather demanding at times!

GIMP is pretty darn good, but text is not one of its stronger areas. You may want to get Inkscape (which is also free) and label your map with Inkscape.

This is stellar. Newbie here, but I'd personally vouch for the second map, with the clean topographic delineations (rather than the gradient). I think it's more legible, especially with such a detailed map.

If you don't mind, could you share a bit about your topography algorithm? Just curious and trying to learn more.

Seriously awesome work, very inspirational!

Port Development, British Columbia, Canada

Thank you, Arimel and rdanhenry for responding. I will have to experiment with an outline to make those river names more legible. I'm glad you have faith in GIMP, Arimel; perhaps with some more experimentation, I'll also one day unlock its full potential.

Yes, rdanhenry, Inkscape is another graphics program I often wondered about. Now I have an extra reason to download it.

By the way, to those who are experts on this matter, how "realistic" is this map? Is there anything I can do to make it more realistic?

Also, out of curiosity, how much do you fellow Canadian artists pay for Photoshop? (I'm getting very eager to take my maps to the next level.)

Take care and stay safe.

Peter