Thread: July 2020 Challenge: The Lost Town of Tegid Foel

Wip July 2020 Challenge: The Lost Town of Tegid Foel

I just realised I hadn't started my thread, and the map is due. I only started it on the 28th, so it'll be nothing spectacular....

My Fairy Tale is the Lost Town of Tegid Foel, who was a despotic and brutal ruler of a small area around Llyn Tegid (Bala Lake), in the Kingdom of Gwynedd, in what is now North Wales, UK.

Tegid Foel was said to have a shining and massive palace on the shores of the lake, overlooking the town he called after himself. The people of the surrounding eastern side of Yr Wyddfa (Snowdon Mountain) were sorely oppressed by their Lord and his many depraved thugs that lived in the town, who were all too happy to do his bidding. Even for the times, he was said to have been cruel and barbaric.

One day, a young itinerant Bard was passing through the region, gathering tales of great deeds and glory. He was invited to play during a feast at the palace, as was the law, he'd be fed and compensated. In those days, it was a high honour to have a Bard play your feast, and a Lord ensured the safety of the entertainer, even one such as Tegid Foel. At the start of the evening, the Bard sang the traditional praise songs, extolling the virtues any ruler of men aught to aspire to, and his own bragging poems, to demonstrate his learning and his talent.

But soon the room fell into a debaucherous state, wine and mead were consumed with abandon, course after course of sumptuous food was brought with little regard for the course before, and men began to behave as animals. Though the Bard played at the utmost of his skill, he was soundly ignored by all in the hall of Tegid Foel. He bore the insult with grace, and soon he could hear a small chirping sound underneath the trilling of his harp. Through a second song, and a third song he heard it, growing louder and stronger.

At the appointed time, he stood to take a break and get a bit of refreshment, when he noticed a little white bird, chirping in the way he'd heard while he was playing. The small bird lighted upon his harp. "Vengence will come!" It tweeted and shifted its head, then took wing and flew around the Bard's head thrice before flying to the exit of the hall, indicating for him to follow. Having himself been transformed into a wren during his training, the Bard understood the ways of Birds, and so followed without further comment. The Bird lead him to a great willow tree, just outside the palace where it sung to him a song of sleeping.

When the Bard awoke, the sun was just cresting the eastern ridge, and he was no longer under the willow, but on a new bank of green grass, the water was lapping at it. He sat up, and he saw his harp in the water just near his feet. As he drew it out, a few people walked past him, a little further up to the small village of Bala, which had been over an hours walk from the closest home of Tegid Foel just yesterday. Looking back out across the water, the Bard couldn't see the shining palace, or even any of the high peaked homes of Tegid Foel. They had all been washed away in the night.

A little white bird landed on his harp and chirped at him, "Vengence has come!" it sang triumphantly. "Vengence will come! Again!"

"When?" He asked, amased at his own good fortune at having lived through the catastrophe.

"In the third generation!" The White Bird trilled as she lifted her wings and flew away across the flooded ruin.

Myfness....

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Lost Town of Tegid Foel.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	915.9 KB 
ID:	124169  

Default Whups, sorry ya'll....

So....I didn't see the rules until about 5 minutes ago, so my entry this month is ineligible. But, this is the finished product....Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Lost Town of Tegid Foel.2.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	911.1 KB 
ID:	124172

Why is this map ineligible? Was it begun before the start of the challenge?

Because it was started too late, according to the rules of the challenge, posted by Robbie on 4/23/2007, which is a sticky post at the top of this forum.

From that post:
    "Entry deadline - Entries for each Challenge must be posted prior to the last five days of that particular Challenges month.***see edit below***"

Though I started this map on 7/28, I didn't post until 7/30, which is 1 day before deadline, and therefore, ineligible....

Myfness....

Hmm, I would say that's an old rule, and to be honest, I wouldn't be opposed to late entries.
    I also feel like we have had several before.

I'm really new around here, so I don't mind this one being ineligible. It's not like I spent days on it anyway....

Actually there was an edit in the first post of the rules by CP around 2 years ago that lifted the 5 day restriction. So long as the entry is posted before the challenge ends, it should be fair game.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Quote Originally Posted by Greason Wolfe View Post
    Actually there was an edit in the first post of the rules by CP around 2 years ago that lifted the 5 day restriction. So long as the entry is posted before the challenge ends, it should be fair game.
    I'm having trouble finding this one....

At the bottom of the very first post in the challenge rules sticy thread.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

I think if we all generally agree that rule is not necessary to uphold, this can be an entry. No reason to keep it if it's not something the current users are passionate about maintaining.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!