Thread: Jezero

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Jezero

Hey, everybody! Who celebrated the launch of NASA's Mars 2020 rover "Perseverance" yesterday?

I did - with a map!

I re-imagined the landing site of the mission, Jezero Crater, as a fantastical pulp sci-fi realm hosting red deserts, isolated forests, and a decaying civilization of lizard-riders and airship-flyers. The names of settlements are drawn from pulp sci-fi having to do with Mars, with a few in-jokes hiding here and there (I put the explanatory list in my brief WIP thread, but I won't include it here in case you want to figure them out on your own).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jezero_color.JPG 
Views:	110 
Size:	7.53 MB 
ID:	124213 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jezero_BW_2.JPG 
Views:	82 
Size:	6.28 MB 
ID:	124212

I used my Copic Multiliners for the line art - including that statue, which is a new feature for me - and then painted it with watercolor pencils. I also had a good time hiding my signature (and the Mars 2020 logo) in the border.

I might be able to do a little more retouching, but I don't think I'll get to it - so, in honor of the launch and all my friends, classmates, coworkers, and colleagues who worked on the rover: Go Perseverance!
    Last edited by jshoer; 01-18-2021 at 10:14 AM. Reason: reversed the order of the color and B&W images