Thread: Jezero

Default Jezero

Hey, everybody! Who celebrated the launch of NASA's Mars 2020 rover "Perseverance" yesterday?

I did - with a map!

I re-imagined the landing site of the mission, Jezero Crater, as a fantastical pulp sci-fi realm hosting red deserts, isolated forests, and a decaying civilization of lizard-riders and airship-flyers. The names of settlements are drawn from pulp sci-fi having to do with Mars, with a few in-jokes hiding here and there (I put the explanatory list in my brief WIP thread, but I won't include it here in case you want to figure them out on your own).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jezero_color.JPG 
Views:	110 
Size:	7.53 MB 
ID:	124213 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jezero_BW_2.JPG 
Views:	82 
Size:	6.28 MB 
ID:	124212

I used my Copic Multiliners for the line art - including that statue, which is a new feature for me - and then painted it with watercolor pencils. I also had a good time hiding my signature (and the Mars 2020 logo) in the border.

I might be able to do a little more retouching, but I don't think I'll get to it - so, in honor of the launch and all my friends, classmates, coworkers, and colleagues who worked on the rover: Go Perseverance!
    Last edited by jshoer; 01-18-2021 at 10:14 AM. Reason: reversed the order of the color and B&W images

Pretty cool. Good work
    Our sense of the stability of the earth is an illusion due to the shortness of our lives.
    - Neil deGrasse Tyson

I know this was already "finished," but in attempting to print it out with a more accurate-to-the-physical-copy coloration, I tweaked the levels and arrived at this version:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jezero_color-photo-print.JPG 
Views:	69 
Size:	9.06 MB 
ID:	124490

It prints out pretty well on my photo printer. Not *quite* identical to the original, but it's perfect for sending to my colleagues!

Nice! Love the bright colourful version.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

I'd call that an improved version!

Thanks CP and rdanhenry!

Original concept with an Interesting landscape, looks like you had fun working on this one.

It's great to see you try new things. These illustrative elements are also a pleasing addition.
    My Website
    You can also find my work on :

Twitter . Instagram . Artstation . Behance

Thanks so much, Marc! I'm glad you like the illustrative elements. I think the statue and the little lizard-rider were big successes (though maybe I let myself down a little with the compass).

Nice bold color choices.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

Thank you, Tiana! I like my punchy watercolor pencils.