Thread: The Hamlet of Farwater

Map The Hamlet of Farwater

Good morning everyone. Today we have the Hamlet of Farwater, my first village drawn in a more figurative style. It is drawn with pigma microns on bristol paper, and was a real fun project from start to finish. Comments and critiques are more than welcome as I try to grow my skill set and improve.

In our D&D game, Farwater was our first level starting village, and what seemed to be a fairly low stakes love triangle turned into a murder mystery.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kami.jpg 
Views:	290 
Size:	173.6 KB 
ID:	124154

Cory, I think this is great for a first piece, town/city maps can be tricky.

First critique would be the lack of discernable roads. While there are obvious main streets on N E S W, the rest seems like a clump of buildings to my eye. Roads are generally blazed to make for convenient travel to and from the businesses that support the community. For example, someone living below a cliff would rather get to the market above him by crafting stairs from the cliff face, rather than walk the long way around every time. That idea of least resistance is a good foundation to base city roads on. Start with gates or main road if it's not a walled town. Once you know the entry/exit points, you can start to branch out from there, keeping trade routes, adjacent town traffic, tourism, etc in mind while the city develops.

My second is really a personal preference of clean presentation. Some of the buildings are nice and square, others are wonky and not straight. I don't quite know what it is in my nature that calls for me to keep lines straight and uniform, so disregard if you disagree.

Anyhoo, hope that helps, good to see more traditional method fellows joining the ranks! Great work!

IR

Thank you so much for the feedback. Always looking to grow that skill set you know.

And yes, it's pen and paper for me all the way.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected TheRedEpic's Avatar

Looks great, I love how you did the trees!

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

Those trees, fields and shading is really good! More discernible roads would be nice though but this is a really great and clear map! Definitely one I will take inspiration from in the future.

Thanks guys!

The trees were fun to draw for sure.

I just picked up Jared Blando's books so I might try another one of these here soonish, and use some of the ideas in there to render the roads more effectively.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected TheRedEpic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Corey L LeMoine View Post
    Thanks guys!

The trees were fun to draw for sure.

I just picked up Jared Blando's books so I might try another one of these here soonish, and use some of the ideas in there to render the roads more effectively.
    Excellent, glad you like the book and looking forward to seeing more :-)