Thread: Custom line Inkscape

Default Custom line Inkscape

Hi, sorry for the ignorance..
    i wonder how i can make some regulary spaced custom line, like the ones in figure, in Inkscape..
    I tried with the custom marker but it place a marker every node, and i want a regulary spaced marker, is it possible?
    Thanks

Name:  Annotazione 2020-07-22 104345.png
Views: 228
Size:  6.6 KB
    Last edited by Michi il Disperso; 07-22-2020 at 08:25 AM.

Hello Michi! I tried to come up with my own method but this clearly is a matter that Inkscape handles poorly. Have you tried this?
    My website (commissions open)
    My LinkTree (to find me everywhere)

If you look at this tutorial you can see some tools that could be used to achieve that effect. Just instead of using an object like he does you can skip that step and just use a vector path. It's a pretty irritating way to do what you want though. He might have videos on his channel that deal directly with your question to create a custom line (I didn't find one with a short search).

Quote Originally Posted by Eowyn Cwper View Post
    Hello Michi! I tried to come up with my own method but this clearly is a matter that Inkscape handles poorly. Have you tried this?
    Thank you for your answer! That method could work, but is far too slow for what i have to use it.. i tried to make some sample but to have a fine line it require almost half an hour, and you cannot modify the line after without moving the symbols singularly.. i have like 100 line to draw XD
    It can be useful however and it's a precious add to my (little) knowledge of Inkscape!

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    If you look at this tutorial you can see some tools that could be used to achieve that effect. Just instead of using an object like he does you can skip that step and just use a vector path. It's a pretty irritating way to do what you want though. He might have videos on his channel that deal directly with your question to create a custom line (I didn't find one with a short search).
    Well, at first i believed it will be the right procedure.. sadly i wasn't able even to make the same thing he do in the video... i guess i'll try harder! I didn't understand what do you mean for "use a vector path", could please explain?

Thank you anyway!

P.S.: and what about QGIS?

EDIT: Thinking a bit about the method you linked Eowyn i realize that i could simply forfeit the triangular part and settle for a simple ruler with the ticks on the right side... could be the one! (sorry, i'm a bit slow)
    Last edited by Michi il Disperso; 07-23-2020 at 04:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Michi il Disperso View Post
    Well, at first i believed it will be the right procedure.. sadly i wasn't able even to make the same thing he do in the video... i guess i'll try harder! I didn't understand what do you mean for "use a vector path", could please explain?
    In the video he has an object that he changes into a vector line, a path (at about 1:54 in the video). But for vector lines I'm basically referring to the (B) tool, the hover text for it says "Draw Bezier curves and straight lines".

So if you make your symbol like the triangle, you can make a bezier path and then create a path effect pattern along path and link it to the triangle symbol. He goes over this method starting at 4:57.

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    In the video he has an object that he changes into a vector line, a path (at about 1:54 in the video). But for vector lines I'm basically referring to the (B) tool, the hover text for it says "Draw Bezier curves and straight lines".

So if you make your symbol like the triangle, you can make a bezier path and then create a path effect pattern along path and link it to the triangle symbol. He goes over this method starting at 4:57.
    Aaah! Ok! I got it working! Don't know what i got wrong before... thank you!

Glad to hear it. Cheers!