You make some excellent points, GW, and thanks for taking time to set them down. The issue you highlight with Francissimo's map goes to the core of the problem.

What you've suggested with the scraper tags could probably be implemented from a technical standpoint. Redrobes did his magic with old challenge winners, which you can see here. BUT... that screen of thumbnails only exists because I went through every old challenge winning thread that I could find and manually added the Winner tag (and I continue to add them manually soon(ish) after each challenge). I am NOT keen to manually categorise every 'Finished Map' that's been posted this year.

We probably have two types of user here at the Guild: the ones who check in regularly and are on top of what's going on. If we put out a call, these people would tag their own maps. But then we have people who drop by to post once in a while, and aren't habitual users. These folks would miss out simply because they weren't aware, and half the maps posted in Finished Maps wouldn't be listed anywhere. Then you have new members who've never heard of the Atlas Awards and don't know to tag their work, so someone would need to keep on top of everything posted in Finished Maps on an ongoing basis...

I quite like your categories (and I do appreciate these are just for discussion.) I feel some of the categories nearer the bottom of the list would need to be combined. For example, I doubt if we get more than a handful of board maps every year. Definitely too few to justify its own category. And once you start combining categories... well, we're kinda back to where we are now...!