Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ***August 2020 Challenge - Saturday Morning Cartoon Map***

Default ***August 2020 Challenge - Saturday Morning Cartoon Map***

If you are of a certain age the ritual of the Saturday morning cartoon lineup is one that likely conjures up quite a bit of nostalgia. He-Man, Sherah, Scooby Doo, The Real Ghostbusters, G.I.Joe, The Transformers, Strawberry Shortcake, Rainbow Bright, The Care Bears, Duck Tales, Gem and the Holograms, Garfield. These were the toons that molded our young, impressionable imaginations. Your challenge this month is to create a map based on one of these or countless other childhood cartoons. Extra credit to anyone who creates the map in a carnoony style. If you happen to be of a younger generation and missed out on this Saturday morning ritual feel free to map a more contemporary cartoon that appeals to you.

The challenge shall end sometime at or around midnight of the 31st of this month. And as always:

1) Title your thread: August 2020 Challenge: <<your title would go here>>
    2) Use the ### Latest WIP ### tag before EVERY work-in-progress image you post so that the image will show up in the thumbnails;
    3) Only submit maps begun on or after today (August 4th), maps started earlier than this are ineligible for the contest.

Fun factory!!! You missed the Thundercats, hooooo!
    Hope I can make some time for this challenge!

I'm not of the younger generation, but when I grew up, we didn't have TV. So I never did partake in the ritual of Saturday Morning Cartoons, unless I was at grandma's. It's crushingly sad that the only one of those cartoons I've watched is the Carebears... oh, and I think a handful of Duck Tales. These were the cartoons that shaped my generation, but I'm really more acquainted with modern cartoons. Is it fine if it's any cartoon even if I'm of the SMC generation?

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

I would imagine any cartoon fits the bit, Tiana. I would venture to guess that anime would suffice as well, I'm considering doing something in the DBZ universe...

This will give us a look into the childhoods of our members, to be sure. Cool idea!

IR

The first map I posted in my gallery was for a Pirates of Dark Water Homebrew Game that my partner is running for a bunch of us, that one would have been perfect for this challenge, except that I made it back in June....

Oh no, looks like I just have to make him another map for another part of the World of Mer, for Pirates of Dark Water....What ever shall I do....?

Quote Originally Posted by Adfor View Post
    I would imagine any cartoon fits the bit, Tiana. I would venture to guess that anime would suffice as well, I'm considering doing something in the DBZ universe...

This will give us a look into the childhoods of our members, to be sure. Cool idea!

IR
    When I was a kid in the early 1980's, Battle for the Planets/G-Force, Robotech/Macross Saga, and even Speed Racer were often broadcast right after the Warner Brother's, Disney, and Hanna Barbera Cartoons....and when my kids were little in the 1990's, we often put on VHS tapes of anime after the broadcast shows ran out on Saturdays....

@Tiana and Adfor, yes modern cartoons and anime are allowed as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Myfness View Post
    The first map I posted in my gallery was for a Pirates of Dark Water Homebrew Game that my partner is running for a bunch of us, that one would have been perfect for this challenge, except that I made it back in June....

Oh no, looks like I just have to make him another map for another part of the World of Mer, for Pirates of Dark Water....What ever shall I do....?
    Oh yeah, I used to love the idea of that show as a kid, but they practically never aired it in a sensible manner, so i don't think I saw more than three or four episodes. I still think the idea is intriguing.

...And TaleSpin, and Gargoyles, and DarkWing Duck, and most important of all, The Raccoons.

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    ...And TaleSpin, and Gargoyles, and DarkWing Duck, and most important of all, The Raccoons.
    The Raccoons! Yes, that was my personal favorite as well. Thundercats was another good one of course.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast