Thread: The Patterned Vale

Map The Patterned Vale

So this was my entry for the Fey challenge last month.
    I have been trying out a few different styles in a more painterly approach (especially after being inspired by the works of Viking, Milan Vasek, and Naima's fresco. This particular style was a little different, with the colour and feel of it inspired by watching Spirited Away and other Ghibli films for the billionth time. Still working out techniques and process but enjoying doing it. May have to use something similar for when I finally return to my Guildworld map but until then I have an idea of starting a larger fan/tribute map after a certain someone got me back into the works of LeGuin...

As for specifics, the brushes used are here. The canvas was 8910*6300 which is far, far too large so was shrunk for the final image. After DimensionDoor asked on the Discord I did try and break down my process for the mountains here but again, still experimenting on the best way to approach things. I've definitely spotted several things I need to try differently and improve upon for next time.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

There are many tales of the Forest. Of the vale of patterns, of the great tree of beaconed gold. It is a great and shadowed place, that forest, stretching endlessly into madness. You may chance to stumble upon one of the many paths therein, great and terrible corridors carved by no hand of man or spirit. But the trails twist and wind in patterns unknown and changing and, should you walk blind, will lead only outward into despair.

Hope still remains though. Beyond the overbearing trees you may catch glimpse of a beacon of shattered gold, a promise of warmth, of light. And such guided striving will draw you to the Vale itself. Y Bryniau Patrymog it is called, the patterned hills, for upon the rising banks of grass and flower that bask in that glow, lie carved in chalk the aspects of beast and spirit. Should you chance to take time to wander through that dale, between the scattered pillars of stone that sprout upwards from the turf, you may catch sight of others in this place. They are fey and secretive and no indication of dwelling or settlement marks where they may live. But they are there, between the chalk, between the stones, and with a turn and a laugh they are quickly gone – to some place other, and beyond the Vale.

Rising high and treacherous, a great circling wall of peaks girdles the Vale’s heart. Of entrances, there are only two – carved and cut in a time long before. Between those great towering gates, the light of gold spills and dances ever out and leads you into Cwrtdôl, the meadowcourt. Here the folk of the vale dance in full raiment, leading the flowers and winds in a glorious movement of chorus. An etheric song of wind and voice lifts the air and heart in wonder.

And, lying at the heart of all, is Coeden Calon – the great tree, and the source of all light in this place. Its leaves are burnished with gold, its gilded bark refracting out the glinting warmth of its glow. An auric beacon of dawnlight stretches heavenward from its boughs to guide the lost and wandering. And, after much meandering, you may find time to rest among its roots, to sleep and join that peaceful dream, that endless dance, in that strange and patterned vale.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Patterned Vale.jpg 
Views:	1337 
Size:	6.79 MB 
ID:	124271

Version without labels here.

I may or may not have made my feelings on this more than clear already, but I do believe it still bears repeating for the Guild's records...
    Absolutely adoring this style and these colours, pretty much just everything about this. Amazing stuff.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Um, WOW! That's all I have to say. Absolutely gorgeous work.
    This is what happens when actual artists take up mapping and put the rest of us to shame.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Splendid work with the light ! A Fabulous map

Professional Artist Facebook Connected TheRedEpic's Avatar

This is fantastic, I love the more painterly style. Reminds me a bit of Disney flicks from the 70s!

The colors and lights just look like a dream to me. A wonderful one, Ifrix. I love every detail, from the painting and texture to those discreet petroglyphs. Amazing

Awesome work of art... Ish I could vote for this too.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellerica View Post
    I may or may not have made my feelings on this more than clear already, but I do believe it still bears repeating for the Guild's records...
    Absolutely adoring this style and these colours, pretty much just everything about this. Amazing stuff.
    You have but, as always, thank you <3

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    I agree. This is just wonderful, Ifrix
    Thanks J, I look forward to seeing where you can take your piece if you continue with it!

Quote Originally Posted by Josiah VE View Post
    Um, WOW! That's all I have to say. Absolutely gorgeous work.
    This is what happens when actual artists take up mapping and put the rest of us to shame.
    Actual artist? Where? XD
    Trying a more digital painting style is something I've only just started doing so reluctant to put myself in that bracket yet Thank you so much for the kind words though!

Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    Splendid work with the light ! A Fabulous map
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRedEpic View Post
    This is fantastic, I love the more painterly style. Reminds me a bit of Disney flicks from the 70s!
    Thank you JO and Jared!

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBeee View Post
    The colors and lights just look like a dream to me. A wonderful one, Ifrix. I love every detail, from the painting and texture to those discreet petroglyphs. Amazing
    Thanks Beee, I really need to find more excuses to use the word "petroglyph"...
    And thanks for the comment re the light - I knew that was something I needed to focus on and get right so glad it turned out so well

Quote Originally Posted by Naima View Post
    Awesome work of art... Ish I could vote for this too.
    Thank you, and especially thank you for the fresco map you were making a while back, the re-finding of which actually inspired me to try something like this

Incredible fairy map! The shading & colours are spot on!
    And the render of the grass & trees is fantastic.