Thread: The Map of Aslorg

Post The Map of Aslorg

The Map of Aslorg:
    Far in the Northern hemisphere of Irania, rests the land of Aslorg. Rolling hills, rising mountains, sprawling plains, dense forests, and curving tundras. Their culture is a form of Old High German (Roughly Old Norse and Saxon). From this culture and lineage came the royalty of the Shattered Isles.

What do you think about the stained glass compass rose? It was fun to make and turned out better than I expected.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Map of Aslorg.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	3.80 MB 
ID:	124340

What do you think about it? Criticism is welcome!

Visit my business site: The Elderly Cartographer
    For commissions: Fiverr
    Follow me on Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, and DeviantArt

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

Really nice map! I like the colors used here and the compass is definitely unique; the style is completely correct. The only thing that seems slightly out of place to me is the tiaga forest. The style is different from everything else on the map. However, the map is still amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by Arimel View Post
    Really nice map! I like the colors used here and the compass is definitely unique; the style is completely correct. The only thing that seems slightly out of place to me is the tiaga forest. The style is different from everything else on the map. However, the map is still amazing!
    Thank you, very much! I was shading in the compass, when my sister said it looked like stained glass, so I went in that direction. It was a new experience and quite fun.
    In what way, may I ask, is the taiga different? Do you mean the color/brush I used, or just the general trees and bumpy-lines?

Thanks again!

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

Your 'normal forest is just an area that is shaded in the dark green with the waves/hill -like details in them. Your taiga is similar but it also has the miniature conifer trees drawn in as well. Normally, I would say that maps would have a texture like the one for your 'normal' forests or a texture for trees like the miniatures in the taiga, but not both because they give two different feelings to the map (I think it has to do with scale). I am explaining this really badly... but maybe you can understand me? I like both versions (both examples are huge inspirations for me) but one needs to be careful to mix the styles to have it turn out amazing (ThomasR's example there is about as far as I would go mixing them, it turned out really well).

Your explanation is clear as crystal. I remember feeling that it was sort of taboo when I was drawing it. I wanted the trees to appear sparse, but I was afraid that if I drew them in forest-clumps, it might portray dense forest.
    I totally agree with your statement. And I will have to think of a more uniform style. I also am sort of bothered by the forest and singular trees around "Glowr Lake" (Lower center, between the two other lakes).

Thank you for your advice. I will definitely have to look out for this in the future.