Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Swenville

Looking at the reference pictures, I bet your client is very happy of it!
    Incredible map (and crazy work on the topography & rocks!). It has a very particular and unique feel due to the city layout.

You've once more outdone yourself my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    This is a much awaited event! A city designed by Thomas... What a great job! I'm really convinced by the whole map, except maybe, as already mentioned, by the cliffs... probably a little too much detail? However, the city is full of details which are sublime... difficult to understand sometimes, the impressions felt when discovering these maps. In any case, congratulations for this commission! I am sure that the agents are as delighted as we are!
    Thanks a lot Joel and I'm glad to hear you say "designed by" as it was the toughest and longest part of the job for me. The cliffs are way too much, you are right and, yeah, it's a kind of a messy city I originally planned on adding much more details but had to realize the scale did not allow it. Also, the commissionner seems pretty happy and the feedback from the RuneQuest community is overwhelmingly positive which makes my day

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    Doing a city for yourself is often a more satisfying exercise.
    I could never have made Haerlech for someone else back then.
    Or probably even Bourmout, the first time around.

Cities are endurance runs though, even when for yourself.
    Pacing is really important, to get through with a slip of sanity left.
    Yeah, baby steps I have been making some plans for Angusta, starting (and it's not the smartest move) with oversizing my canvas

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Looking at the reference pictures, I bet your client is very happy of it!
    Incredible map (and crazy work on the topography & rocks!). It has a very particular and unique feel due to the city layout.

You've once more outdone yourself my friend.
    Merci beaucoup Julien, it came out of a lot of pain

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
    Thanks a lot Joel and I'm glad to hear you say "designed by" as it was the toughest and longest part of the job for me.

Yeah, baby steps I have been making some plans for Angusta, starting (and it's not the smartest move) with oversizing my canvas
    That is definitely one thing people just don't understand when they want a city map done - the layout takes so long.
    Hell, everything takes so long.

Here's an idea - try a small sort of style guide render of a small set of buildings to work out the style you will use for the bulk of the city.
    Sometimes it's an easier way to work through that sort of thing. I've thought of doing it before, but I always just jump all in.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    Here's an idea - try a small sort of style guide render of a small set of buildings to work out the style you will use for the bulk of the city.
    Sometimes it's an easier way to work through that sort of thing. I've thought of doing it before, but I always just jump all in.
    Yeah, I did that for both cities for Runequest. A handfull of test buildings (oversized and overdetailed at first), trying to build some kind of city block and then, with this experience, a quick street layout (which is not easy either but your GuildCity WIPs were a great help, thanks for that) that I fill with variations on the style of buildings I designed. The rest is sweat and time and eyes slowly burnt by the screen

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12